Diane

Cheap Phone Cards - the good, the bad and the ugly!

Just had to recharge our Aussie Calling Card - we've always used Daybreak Cards in the past but when I had to speak to a Customer Service person tonight to register a new credit card, turns out the rates are now 4.5c per minute - compared to the 1.5c per minute it has always been in the past!! Don't know when they sneakily changed that, but thought we'd been going through our minutes quicker than normal! They did offer to change the scheme to a cheaper one, but wanted to charge us a $29 sign up feefor the privilege!!

Anyway, a quick google search has come up with Australia Phone Cards- Find the Cheapest Phonecards in Australia which are charging only 1.5c a minute with no connection fee, and more to the point no ridiculous "sign up" fee - plus you can speak to a real person (their customer service people are on 02 9283 9292) and pre-register your home phone number so that you don't need to put the pin number in every time.

Thought it might be useful info for someone - and if you're still using Daybreak, check the rates!!

Thanks for posting this I thought I was getting through my phone cards quicker that normal!! will change it next time xx

Also be careful with Daybreak services advisers we phoned them once to top up they offered up this phone that comes with cheap calls to call the UK said we didn't want it just a top up which we paid with our credit card a few days later the phone we didn't want turned up and another $50 was taken from our card!!! Lucky for us the bank refunded it!!

Guest rachinadelaide

Watch out for phonecards that charge a 'disconnection' fee!! My parents got caught out by that one....they were charged a dollar for the privilege of hanging up the phone.

Guest MrsHills

I use 'honest' phone card so far so good - no probs been using it for three years now, just keep topping it up keep same pin etc

ozprepaidcards.com.au

We use the Aussie phonecard - www.accessphonecards.com.au which is 2c a minute and you are charged by the minute - not 3 min blocks and no connection / disconnection fee.

Would be good to not have to put in your pin each time though so may look at stevo's card, which incidentally is 2.5 cents a minute to the UK.

Catherine

We use the Aussie phonecard - www.accessphonecards.com.au which is 2c a minute and you are charged by the minute - not 3 min blocks and no connection / disconnection fee.

Would be good to not have to put in your pin each time though so may look at stevo's card, which incidentally is 2.5 cents a minute to the UK.

Catherine

It's a little strange as both Stevo and my links both list "aussiephonecards.com.au" at the top of the page, but if you type in the website "www.aussiephonecards.com.au" it lists the rates and definitely shows 1.5c a minute for UK calls - also if you pre-register your home phone - or wherever you call from usually - you don't have to put the pin number in every time. Have been very impressed with their customer service - quick to respond to both emails and phone calls, and their call centre doesn't sound like it's "offshore"!!