Guest k8bug79

Shipping just a few boxes

Guest k8bug79

Hi, we have decided that we are going to take very litle with is. Reason being that we have a load of S#*t here and wouldn't be worth the cost. Also we want a clean slate. PLus we may be moving quickly and to save money we are going to store things here and ship when we have the money. As we will need bits and pieces when we arrive we are going to ship only things that are handy and we won't buy straight away.

We have decided on 2 bookshelves and 2 tall boys, that are in good condition and we would like to keep. 1 tall drawer unit. THen I guess about 1 box from our bedroom, 1 box each for the kids. Maybe 5 boxes for the kitchen and lounge, and maybe add 2-3 more just to be safe.

What is the best way to look at shipping this lot, I saw someone saying if its less than 20 boxes then to look at UPS/ DHL courier etc. But a quick quote brings this in at about £1300 eeek

Does that seem the best way, any advice would be great.

Also can you pack in furniture. for eg. My daughter has a toy box, so am I able to stuff this full of bits, plus the tall boys and bookshelves, can you pack boxes onto shelves or will companies want them all seperate?

Thanks

Guest katsmajic

We used GBLiners, sent about 30 boxes i think and was about £600.

They came and packed everything and to be fair they did a really good job - 1 picture frame got broke.

As it ends up in a shared container (which they physically fill not other customers) it can take longer to arrive - ours took about 16weeks.

We also used excess baggage at the airport as we were a 'bit' over on the baggage allowance, approx 6 suitcases cost £450 arrived in a week.

Guest familygood

You could try Voovit for boxes. We found the shpping company were just as cheap though and was nice to be able to talk to someone rather than all done online. Shared containers can take an age though so be prepared to wait or send early!! We sent 10 boxes over and cost about £500 all in. Not too bad. Do listen to people here though and bing what you can. Its heartbreaking buying everything again after you sold it at a car boot for 50p only a few weeks ago!!! Best of luck.

Guest k8bug79
    You could try Voovit for boxes. We found the shpping company were just as cheap though and was nice to be able to talk to someone rather than all done online. Shared containers can take an age though so be prepared to wait or send early!! We sent 10 boxes over and cost about £500 all in. Not too bad. Do listen to people here though and bing what you can. Its heartbreaking buying everything again after you sold it at a car boot for 50p only a few weeks ago!!! Best of luck.

Thanks thats great I was hoping about the £500 to £800 mark so at least I am not wildly out. We are bringing bits but it will be the weird bits. I was looking through a kitchen cupboard the other day adn thought there is no point taking our broken chipped plates, but I will take some of the ovenware. In another cupboard I was thinking, I'll take the sewing box as its little things like that that will be annoying to buy. I odn't mind replacing stuff that is naff already. (Plus i have been amrried before and a lot of it is from then, so it will be nice to replace with my current husband)

I have so much clutter I am quite looking forward to starting again minimilistic. Plus, if we go quickly the job I will be going to be will pay way more than both of us earn here so hoping that any replaving we will be doing will be for better quality more permanant purchases, whereas here we buy lots of cheap and cheerful and it breaks

Guest familygood

Thats funny cos i was actually going to say sewing kit!! I had to buy one recently and thought it was such a waste as I just threw out the one I did have and its those small things that add up when you get here!!! Especially shoes and clothes. I had 24 pairs before we packed to go and now I only have 4 - why didnt I just bring more in the boxes?!?!?! Sounds like you have just the right attitude to it. Good luck!

Guest Chandan

We here and used Anglo Pacific.. they were the cheapest quote, the packers were fantastic and fun when around our crazy small one bed flat.. we packed up 265 cubic foot (think of a normal small removal truck and fill it) and were quoted £1700 for the lot including insurance, they were fantastic, we packed our stuff up five days before we left, on the day of leaving we realised we had so much more we wanted to take a quick phone call and two hours later the packers turned up adn packed the last bits 3 hours before we headed to the airport! thats service for you!.. Door to Door. You will have to pay for fumigation at the port if you bring in wooden furniture. Yes, with this comapany you can pack things in things as they seal them there and then. I really wished we'd brought our Super Kingsize Duck and Goose Duvet.. even thinking of ordering one from John lewis and sending it over here..

Unfortunatly Adelaide being a fairly quiet destination the shipments are far and few between, depending on luck.. we missed out on a liner that sailed by four days.. it would have only taken 4 weeks to arrive.. we have already been 5 weeks and still have till the end of august to wait.. so i'd start looking. Good luck!

Guest brianlynnette

hi just wondering how big are the boxes approx haha as weve just priced a full container and itd cost £3,500 weve got about 10 60ltr size stacking boxes just with xmas ornaments in and loads more boxes to fill bit if i can ship our personnal stuff over for less than £1,500 id be really happy haha:biglaugh:

Guest brianlynnette
    Hi, we have decided that we are going to take very litle with is. Reason being that we have a load of S#*t here and wouldn't be worth the cost. Also we want a clean slate. PLus we may be moving quickly and to save money we are going to store things here and ship when we have the money. As we will need bits and pieces when we arrive we are going to ship only things that are handy and we won't buy straight away.

We have decided on 2 bookshelves and 2 tall boys, that are in good condition and we would like to keep. 1 tall drawer unit. THen I guess about 1 box from our bedroom, 1 box each for the kids. Maybe 5 boxes for the kitchen and lounge, and maybe add 2-3 more just to be safe.

What is the best way to look at shipping this lot, I saw someone saying if its less than 20 boxes then to look at UPS/ DHL courier etc. But a quick quote brings this in at about £1300 eeek

Does that seem the best way, any advice would be great.

Also can you pack in furniture. for eg. My daughter has a toy box, so am I able to stuff this full of bits, plus the tall boys and bookshelves, can you pack boxes onto shelves or will companies want them all seperate?

Thanks

hi lynnette here, i got a quote for a full container and it was £3,500 we nearly died on the spot haha so brians now told me to start clearing out stuff we actually want to take rather than stuff cos of the sake of it, now weve decided to just take personnal stuff, kids toys and ornaments, special keepsakes, bedding e.t.c basically all the stuff thats in cupboards, boxes just not the boxes haha, i was actually gonna start buying stuff here and keep it all boxed so that we could send it over before we leave that way itd be there for when we arrived but brians said no just get it all when we arrive, just dont fancy that at all tho, i was hoping to sort a rental out before we got there then phone my auntie to take charge of our container over there then it would be in the house when we arrived haha, just dont know what to do, people say bring everythin then i hear how cheap you can get stuff over there for, everyones got mixed views just so confused haha:biglaugh:

Guest storey2010

Hi we are flying out to Adelaide 4th march yippee!!!! Now we are the same as you we only are taking a few personal things including bookcase plus two coffee tables, we have arranged a 90sq foot container through Britannia removals and this also includes a full packing service and they sort all the paperwork for immigration cost £ 704 pounds! Hope this is of help!!!!

Guest brianlynnette
    Hi we are flying out to Adelaide 4th march yippee!!!! Now we are the same as you we only are taking a few personal things including bookcase plus two coffee tables, we have arranged a 90sq foot container through Britannia removals and this also includes a full packing service and they sort all the paperwork for immigration cost £ 704 pounds! Hope this is of help!!!!

hi lynnette here thanks for that, thats brill that, ive just wrote that down for future reference haha hope all goes well for you :biglaugh:

Guest storey2010

HI when I replied to you I should have said the size is 95 cubic feet(sorry). this is still what I gather large enough to take bookcases and furnitureetc.... the firm britannia is nationwide their tel freephone 08456006661. They will arrange a guy to come to your house and he will advise you what you can and cant take. Hope this helps sandra :skeptical:

Guest Chandan

i guess it depends how much you have saved up to spend on new things here. we too left most of our stuff and brought personal things,clothes, toys, tumble dryer (it was nearly new) and other bits. We have been here since june 2010 and still in need of stuff. we were very fortunate to have my parents supply most of the things we needed when we arrived, and friends lent us couches. I lived here 12 years ago and had started a 'glory box' with all things for the kitchen, all the birthdays and christmas' my parents added to it instead of sending stuff to the uk for me.

In hind sight we could of done with lots of things we left behind, and spent a long time saying 'oh we wished we brought that' .

Duvets.. they dont make them like they do in the uk and really wished we had brought ours with us.

Finacially we have regretted not sending stuff as yes some things are cheaper here, the quality isnt the same and for a few extra hundred pounds on the shipping we truly wished we had planned it a bit better and brought more things.

The day to day cost of living here is more than i remembered, but in reality we have survived off of one average salary since being here, but it has got to the point where I am about to start work and we are already putting a mental list of things we need to get like a lawn mower (our rental has the tiniest bit of grass but needs to be mowed every 4 weeks minimum, a cost we hadnt even thought about.)

Yes there is IKEA here, but it seems more expensive here than the UK. There are some good house hold furniture packages, but again it depends how much you have saved to go towards new things when you are.

You will need a car eventually and with the cost of outlaying for a rental with bond, a car, and starting up a house, it really becomes a hefty shopping list before you realise you have spent loads of money.

I read on here, something that makes so much sense, if you moved house in the UK you wouldnt leave most of your things behind to move into that house, so why would you to come here.

Yes there will be stuff you dont need to bring.. everyone has that stuff in there house..but think about what you do in your everyday life and what you use and the more realistic you are about it the more you will see that you are in fact saving money shipping it rather than buying it new here.

When you are settled and in good finacial position then start replacing old for new, you can even sell your stuff on here to help other newly arrived expats who need to get by until their containers arrive.

You dont want to be spending your hard earned money on replacing things you left behind, otherwise you'll never be able to spend your money on all the good things to go and do over here.. (something we have found that has happened to us).

Everyone has a different view so read them and make the right decision for yourself, hope mine has helped in your decision whichever way you go about it.

Im sure your OH would prefer to spend your money on outings and beer than to replace household stuff you already owned.. and its amazing how much stuff those boxes can fit in.

Good luck!!

Guest motlyman

We used Excess Bagage.

Anything that fitted in a tea chest came over.

Big mistake:arghh: We still got unopened boxes in the garage.

I would say bring it if its sentimental and cant be replaced, if its not, chuck it or sell it before you leave.

A lot of stuff would be cheaper to replace than to transport over.

Colin

PS. if you have decent fishing gear then bring it as stuff here aint that great:sad:

Guest brianlynnette
    HI when I replied to you I should have said the size is 95 cubic feet(sorry). this is still what I gather large enough to take bookcases and furnitureetc.... the firm britannia is nationwide their tel freephone 08456006661. They will arrange a guy to come to your house and he will advise you what you can and cant take. Hope this helps sandra :skeptical:

Hi Sandra i thought that was a bit big haha any info will be great thanks for that ill deffo give them a call:biglaugh:

Guest brianlynnette
    i guess it depends how much you have saved up to spend on new things here. we too left most of our stuff and brought personal things,clothes, toys, tumble dryer (it was nearly new) and other bits. We have been here since june 2010 and still in need of stuff. we were very fortunate to have my parents supply most of the things we needed when we arrived, and friends lent us couches. I lived here 12 years ago and had started a 'glory box' with all things for the kitchen, all the birthdays and christmas' my parents added to it instead of sending stuff to the uk for me.

In hind sight we could of done with lots of things we left behind, and spent a long time saying 'oh we wished we brought that' .

Duvets.. they dont make them like they do in the uk and really wished we had brought ours with us.

Finacially we have regretted not sending stuff as yes some things are cheaper here, the quality isnt the same and for a few extra hundred pounds on the shipping we truly wished we had planned it a bit better and brought more things.

The day to day cost of living here is more than i remembered, but in reality we have survived off of one average salary since being here, but it has got to the point where I am about to start work and we are already putting a mental list of things we need to get like a lawn mower (our rental has the tiniest bit of grass but needs to be mowed every 4 weeks minimum, a cost we hadnt even thought about.)

Yes there is IKEA here, but it seems more expensive here than the UK. There are some good house hold furniture packages, but again it depends how much you have saved to go towards new things when you are.

You will need a car eventually and with the cost of outlaying for a rental with bond, a car, and starting up a house, it really becomes a hefty shopping list before you realise you have spent loads of money.

I read on here, something that makes so much sense, if you moved house in the UK you wouldnt leave most of your things behind to move into that house, so why would you to come here.

Yes there will be stuff you dont need to bring.. everyone has that stuff in there house..but think about what you do in your everyday life and what you use and the more realistic you are about it the more you will see that you are in fact saving money shipping it rather than buying it new here.

When you are settled and in good finacial position then start replacing old for new, you can even sell your stuff on here to help other newly arrived expats who need to get by until their containers arrive.

You dont want to be spending your hard earned money on replacing things you left behind, otherwise you'll never be able to spend your money on all the good things to go and do over here.. (something we have found that has happened to us).

Everyone has a different view so read them and make the right decision for yourself, hope mine has helped in your decision whichever way you go about it.

Im sure your OH would prefer to spend your money on outings and beer than to replace household stuff you already owned.. and its amazing how much stuff those boxes can fit in.

Good luck!!

Hi lynnette here, thanks for that info, theres so much to take in and consider and yes i read that quote 'you wouldnt leave behind anything if you were moving house in the uk so whay when yr moving her' that is soo true haha :biglaugh:

Read the small print on any of these small box companies...

I had some stuff sent over with VOOVIT and the charges and messing at this end was a little extreme.

You have to go to customs at the port and tell them whats in the box and and arrange for an appointment with AQIS near ikea and arrange inspection of the goods at the shippers.

Once box was on the wharf at the port I had to call AQIS to set up meeting.

They only do this at certain times and you have to do this within a set time or you get charged daft money.

I was working at the time and had to get time off work to do these things.

You have to pay for customs and AQIS for them to fill the paper work in.

Dont want to put you off doing it this way but be aware.

Rob and Mel