Guest artetaneville

healthcare for diabetics

Guest artetaneville

Hi can anyone give me advice on the costs of healthcare, the healthcare system etc when you are diabetic.

Thank you :)

there is a group here for diabetics and you can get cheep prescriptions from them they club together and buy in bulk.

seems a pretty good system with clinics in the hospital (which sometimes appear to have longish waiting lists) and the NDSS provides a great service with greatly reduced prescription charges, your doctor has to refer you to the programme I think. There also seems to have been a lot more NDSS chemists opening up, so greater convenience, 2 years ago there was only 1 near me, now I see quite a few. I was lucky and only had gestational diabetes, can't remember all the costs, had a test machine on loan, but they don't seem so expensive to buy. you should be able to find price info for consumables on the link cliffy provided.

Guest artetaneville

Thanks alot everyone for the information :)

A friend of mine is iddm and she said she was pleasantly suprised at the cost of insulin. I seem to remember that she thought lancers and strips were expensive though so bring them. For iddm they are very pro insulin pumps rather than daily injections. Hope that helps