Guest vikkiann

Is £50,000 enough?

Guest vikkiann

Hi all

After much thought we are taking the plunge 2 years after we were given our 175 visa.

My hubby is almost 40, I'm 32, we have 4 children who are 3, 4, 7 and 12.

My hubby is a plumber but has been self employed doing kitchen fitting for the past 6 years.

My concern is ......... by the time we've sold our house, paid our mortgage and debts, we should have about £50,000.

Is that enough to start a new life, baring in mind we'll need to find him a job, secure a rental etc etc.

Any advice will be taken on board!!

This has been the hardest decision of my life but now i'm going to be selfish and think of us not everyone else.

Vikki

xx

Guest kangomik

A difficult decision.

Some bring more, some bring a lot less.

At the moment the economy / work is a little up and down. No doubt some one in this trade will post. I think he may need to spend time to get qualified or registered over here. Saying that, if he is self employed he must be a grafter so he should be fine.

You have to look at your current quality of life, is it good or bad.

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

;)that is loads of money!!!

I came here 18n months ago with 2 kids and a hubby all who were dependent on me financially. We had not childcare benefit etc, and we lived on 1700.00 a fortnight, and had a rental for 350 (highly priced), and we bought all our furniture with this money and a car too!!!

You can defubnately do it, there are jobs here, and if you out a post up about the type of work your hubby does you're bound to get some connections, cos here its who you know not what you know really!!!

Good luck, life is too short to nto do things, think yourself lucky you've got the opportunity, lots of people don't have that opportunity.:goofy:

Sarah

Guest vikkiann

Financially we tick by. Emotionally it's awful, he works in excess of 50 hours a week just to pay the bills and provide for us.

Our younger 2 daughters see him on a sunday then generally don't see him until a thursday as he has to work stupid hours, most of the time 14 -16 hours a day.

I've just had enough now!

Guest vikkiann

Thanks Sarah, there was me worrying it wouldn't be enough!

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

If you want to buy a house however, you'll need a lot to put down, but if you[re just thinking of getting here and settling then it defo be enough.

x

Guest kangomik

Ahh if you want the lifestyle, then you should be fine. Rent a while no rush to buy.

some would say not but i would say that is prob tripple/ quadrouple what most people land here with so yes if you want to imho it is easily enough! i came here with 10% of that

Wish we were coming with that much, we've been hit really hard by the drop in house prices and are still waiting on money coming through from the sale so we'll be coming with about a 10th of what you'll have!!!!!!!!

Guest vikkiann

Thanks for all of your replies.

You guys and girls on here always help when i have dilemma's!

Let's hope the house goes through quickly.

When we thought about it before i was unsure but now i am 98% sure this is the right thing for me and my family, it's just taken me 2 years to see it!!

Guest kfoley0681

you can do it but dont be expecting a great luxurious life style! we had simular and my husband is a plumber and we have 4 kids to! i will say finding work for your husband not a problem so easy lots of work for plumbers but the big but he will need to go to tafe regency road plumbing school to do a short course to get a licence. this will allow him to work for someone then if in the future you want to work for himself will need to do a 2 year 10 module course to get that licence. also shop around when looking for work companies vary loads from $20 an hour to $40!!!! we have a house that we brought so have spent money there but have to say its all gone lol you will more than likely be entiltted to family tax benifit and if you dont work you will get both a and b so that will boast your income!!!

hi vikkiann remember me lol;)

i think thats a good amount to bring (more than us!) and because you are on the 175 visa you will recieve family benifit.

Am so glad you are making the move over here its been so long since i last heard off you, hope you are ok and the family too.

if you need anything just pm me am always here good luck hun:wubclub:

sue xxx

Guest Django

With 4 kids I reckon with the amount the nice people at the benefit office will give you will cover most if not all of your long term rental. We arrived with less than a tenth of what you guys are coming with BUT Tracey did have a job lined up. Now its different. I'm now working part time and Tracey is registered with an agency but not getting any work. Our rental costs us $760 a fortnight, We have finance on two cars and have to keep our 5 children fed, watered and warm. We get by okay and are actually better off than we were in the UK with us both working full time.

What it all boils down to is what you spend money on. As some things are more expensive here and some things are cheaper. If the things you normally buy or do are more expensive then you may need to change your lifestyle or stuggle. If like us they are cheaper then happy days.

There are loads of ways of cutting costs. You need to 'make do' for a while rather than buy, buy, buy when you land. Keep an eye on your junk mail. It'll keep you in the loop as to where and when all the sales are. Sales are happening all the time so don't just get here and buy say a washing machine because you when you buy one you will see a few weeks later the same model a hell of a lot cheaper on sale. This goes for everything.

Also it won't take long to find out where to buy your food. Get out of the habit of the one stop shop. Buy fruit and veg from fruit barns, meat from butchers, etc. You will get better produce at a cheaper price than if you buy it all under the same roof.

So can you start here on around $100,000???? Yes but you may need to be open, in the short term, to the idea of taking any job that you get inside or indeed outside of your chosen trade/career. Its not just a move its a new life. Adapt and survive. Its not going to be easy but if you take it on as an adventure and keep positive you will find a few years down the line it will be so worth it. Life here is wonderful. The beaches are to die for, the scenery is awesome, the locals are friendly and the lifestyle is far better (for us anyway) than what we left behind.

Pete

Guest guest569

you should be ok. Just remember to be carefull for the first few months as it will rapidly disappear if your not carefull.:wideeyed:

Guest Shaun O

By the time we have paid for flights and the visa etc we will probably only have £5000. Is this enough??? My wifes father will act as a sponsor but Ive never been out of work and have my own decorating firm in Cardiff. Please let me know your thoughts on how much £££££ I need! Cheers in advance!

Guest Adelaide_bound
    By the time we have paid for flights and the visa etc we will probably only have £5000. Is this enough??? My wifes father will act as a sponsor but Ive never been out of work and have my own decorating firm in Cardiff. Please let me know your thoughts on how much £££££ I need! Cheers in advance!

Shaun, it might be better for you to start your own thread (just from the point of view that more people might see it/be interested in it iykwim rather than me getting snotty and saying your hijacking a thread or anything :D )

It really depends on things like how many of you are coming, what lifestyle are you used to now, and therefore want to support when you get to Australia, what you expect to do in terms of housing etc etc - for eg, for us its just the two of us, and we are toying with the idea of buying a backpackers camper van and having a bit of a holiday to start with (as it will probably take about 6 weeks for my teacher reg to come through, so I can't work in that until its sorted anyway), and then we will be looking to rent somewhere basic-ish, furnish it with basic stuff, shipping a little from here. So we think we will be ok on not a huge amount - most of which will be for the car/van when we get there (we are budgeting £5000 ish as a bottom amount there, but then we want something we can sleep in lol). But then, as I say, we don't mind slumming it some. If you have children, and therefore need more stability etc for them, you will need a bit more (ie we only need 2 beds when we eventually get somewhere, if you have children obviously you might need more bedrooms). Obviously it also depends on how soon you think you will be working - if you are prepared to do *anything* if need be, you will find more work sooner imho and therefore can survive on less, if you are set on only working in a specific job on a specific wage you might find it takes a bit longer, so need funds to support you during that time.

Hope that gives you some kind of starting point....:)

Guest graandjac
    you should be ok. Just remember to be carefull for the first few months as it will rapidly disappear if your not carefull.:wideeyed:

Listen to Bob's advice ..........you spend money quicker than giving it away when you first arrive...........you have to be very tight for a while.cheers Graham

Guest shella_n

We came over with about £5k if I remember rightly but hubby started work after 1 week. He earnt about $900 a week and we STRUGGLED. However as we were on a 457 we weren't entitled to rent assistance, child benefit etc etc. When he was out of work after two months ( cause of muck up at immigration) the money ran out very quickly and we literally didn't have enough money to feed thd kids ( our neighbours bless them kept inviting us for dinner). Now I work part- time as well and we manage fine ( even though we r still big entitled to Childcare etc) Id say on £50k u will b absolutely fine

Good luck with it all

Guest BurgessFamily

50,000 GBP should certainly be enough. You might consider leaving some in a UK account, so you could benefit from an upswing in exchange rates (should it happen soon).

When you arrive, you should be entitled to Family Tax Benefit A, Family Tax Benefit B, and Rent Assistance.

have a look at http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/.

Hi all

After much thought we are taking the plunge 2 years after we were given our 175 visa.

My hubby is almost 40, I'm 32, we have 4 children who are 3, 4, 7 and 12.

My hubby is a plumber but has been self employed doing kitchen fitting for the past 6 years.

My concern is ......... by the time we've sold our house, paid our mortgage and debts, we should have about £50,000.

Is that enough to start a new life, baring in mind we'll need to find him a job, secure a rental etc etc.

Any advice will be taken on board!!

This has been the hardest decision of my life but now i'm going to be selfish and think of us not everyone else.

Vikki

xx

We lost out in the house sale as well so I understand how you feel. That should be plenty and as BurgessFamily says, look at the benefits and sort them out when you come.

Cooler

Guest Deano1970
    Financially we tick by. Emotionally it's awful, he works in excess of 50 hours a week just to pay the bills and provide for us.

Our younger 2 daughters see him on a sunday then generally don't see him until a thursday as he has to work stupid hours, most of the time 14 -16 hours a day.

I've just had enough now!

We to are moving to Adelaide in September , I'm self employed in Uk I work 55-90 hours a wk on exhibition stands all over Europe to support my family. Were coming out with roughly £60000 after all paid off so I think their are plenty off people jumping ship for a better life for thier kids. I've been told being a tradie we should have no probe getting work. Good luck to you and you're family if you're hard working you should be ok. Our friends told us just knuckle down and don't treat like holiday or you will fail. Think positive