Crisis in confidence

Guest Castles

Guest Castles

Were looking at moving at the start of Sep 2010.

Carriers are booked etc but with enough slack to cancel if we cant decide to go (major crisis in confidence).

Myself and the OH have always worked and were both in good well paying jobs and are seriously worried if were going to be able to get work.

I've been with IBM for 26 years (maintenance through to manuf engineering) and Linda is an assistant care services manager (physical and mental health).

Question is, "just how hard is it to get jobs and can anybody help"?

I know from reading other posts that stress levels seem to go off the radar so I wont even go there.........:err:

Guest kfoley0681

definatly easy to find jobs but from what others have told us and from our experience be prepared to take a pay cut or start from near the bottom aain!

Guest calamitycaz

Hi, I initially spoke to agencies, who said they had spoken to the relevant hospitals and that there wouldn't be any vacancies until September. I then emailed the HR departments of all the major Adelaide hospitals myself - I received a very poor reply from that so sent hard copies of my CV with a covering letter to all the managers of the relevant departments I was interested in working at. Within 6 weeks, from 6 CV's/letters I had 4 offers of interviews, and after 2 telephone interviews I was provisionally offered two jobs! I have now accepted one of them at Flinders, which was where I really wanted to work. :jiggy:

I think the key is to do your research, and don't take no for an answer!

And believe me - I have 131 days until I get on the plane - the collywobbles and a crisis of confidence is quite normal! I frequently have days where I think "ohmygodwhattheheckamIdoing?!" and have to remind myself to breathe!!

Good luck and keep us posted

Caz :wubclub:

Guest guest569

they do like their bits of paper here in oz showing what you can do. I can see your both very good at what you do but the key into getting work asap over here might be if you have the recognised qualification to go with your experience.

Guest Castles

Hello again and thanks to everybody that has replied.

On the bits of paper above I have my TRA (electronics) and am good old fashioned time served from the MOD. Lots of decent qualies up to a Masters (Materials Management) which I got way back in 96 (I'm clearly to old for this, however)....

I guess with being in ths same job for so long and my age..... I am the one with serious doubts (wont let go syndrome?) I just need to man up and do it.

I have always worked so I guess I just need to be confident and learn some deep breathing exercises or something.

Decision will be made over the next two or three days i guess.....

Big deep breath.............:swoon:

Guest kangomik

Take a big breath

Have a look at what you have, and by comming here what you may or will have.

One will find employment really easily, the other (YOU) may struggle. Your good old british paperwork isn't worth too much here. They do take into account NVQ's etc but i am guessing like me this is before your time.

You will find work, usually lower paid that the UK, and a lot further down the ladder.

Is it all doom and gloom?

NO

You will bring a certain amount of cash with you (your not young), this could mean you are mortgage free, or could rent easily or even have a very small mortgage.

Now if the Mrs is out working and the house costs nearly nothing this could release a lot of free time for you young man, maybe a part time job, or a full time job at lower income would suit nicely. This of course will chill you out, and make you live a few years longer. Surely thats not a bad thing!

It's only natural to have the "wobbles" we have all been there. Seriously look at what you have, and what you have to loose. Then look at the gains ;)

Guest janmoo

Hi all

I noticed a few mental health nurses on the site any chance you van come to my house? In n Ireland? Omg we are due to leave end of sept 2010. House in uk going up for rent and have got good homes for my pets or more like my babies! But I am trying to stay positive at the mo. A friend has offered us her rumpus to stay in for a couple of weeks. We are leavin all our furniture behind as we reckon it would be just as cheap to load up in Ikea near the airport.

We ve had 9 reccies lol an excuse to see round that stunning place where you lucky people live. Only thing is we want to rent an apartment long term in glenelg but every time we phone up they are gone!, 2 bedded if anyone spots anything.

Though we did buy a block of land whic we saw when we were there in April and arranged it all from here in Ireland. Not bad for beginners!, I am dreading the actual move day tho I think I will collapse at heathrow or something!

We have perm resident visas and hubby is a joiner and I'm a beauty therapist but have worked for 9 years as a medical receptionist do can do either. What is the work situation like for us out there? Also anyone leaving heathrow at end sept get in touch and we can have combined hysteria!,

Really wud appreciate your help with this? No worries mate! Blooming heck try bein me then it wud be loadza worries mate!

Guest RichandHelen

"My best friend told me the best advice, each day`s a gift and not a given right "

Dont die wondering .. :)

My wife and I had the same. Helen being a nurse is easily employed. I on the other hand have been doing same job for 15 years but had to retrain. Its a strange feeling when you are more experienced than your teacher..:err:

Best of luck

Rich

Were looking at moving at the start of Sep 2010.

Carriers are booked etc but with enough slack to cancel if we cant decide to go (major crisis in confidence).

Myself and the OH have always worked and were both in good well paying jobs and are seriously worried if were going to be able to get work.

I've been with IBM for 26 years (maintenance through to manuf engineering) and Linda is an assistant care services manager (physical and mental health).

Question is, "just how hard is it to get jobs and can anybody help"?

I know from reading other posts that stress levels seem to go off the radar so I wont even go there.........:err:

I think everyone is different and I personally feel it is down to your attitude and approach when you get here to starting a new life.

We have been here just over 3 years and when we emigrated my partner had never been to Australia before, had worked for the same employer for 8 years in an IT role since leaving University but we both totally embraced building a new life here and he absolutely loves it here and is now in a more senior role with better pay and job satisfaction.

On the other hand we met a couple over here and the husband was a similar age to my partner had worked for the Government in IT since leaving school and they lasted 3 months out here, they could not adjust and cope with the change and he went back to his old job in England.

Two people, similar age, similar work history, experience and qualifications, yet two very different experiences.

Guest Chelseadownunder

There are plenty of opportunities here and our UK work ethic will always shine through so although you may have to take a drop in income the opportunities soon will come along I am sure. Living here is a great way of life and personaly, its only now that we feel we are living.

You'll get a job and there is no need for you to be uptight although natural I suppose. I hink it's fear of the unknown.

Where did you buy your plot of land?

This is a great life,you can prosper and of course the weather and overall quality to life is just fantastic.....

No need to panic,take it as a new adventure and a new start . Lots of love Elaine xx