Were England THE worst team in the World Cup

sueoc

Hiya,

Just got back from the UK after 5 weeks or so,and followed the Footy with my mates there.The general opinion was that England were the worst team to watch,clueless,lethargic,could'nt string two passes together etc etc.I must say i agree.Teams like New Zealand were more entertaining,at least they gave it all they had!Needless to say,all the England World Cup paraphernalia was sold off for peanuts after their unceremonious exit!I kid ye not,the car flags were sold for 10p a pair,and England socks were going for 50p for 5 pair!The nation expects more!!!!:huh:

England always think they have a great team they need to wake up to them self they done it as a fluke 1966 as it was played on home ground they will never win the world cup again they have not got the ability or the players look at the English league it full of players from around the world name one world class player in the England team now I dare you????

Guest Django

I would say that of the seeded teams Italy and France were worse than England. ;)

Okay England didn't play as they did in qualifying but they always let themselves and the country down. BUT I would say while the team were awful I thought Steven Gerrard played very well and I dare to say world class. Just because he had no one to play with dosen't make him less of a player.

I think the main questions that have to be asked are:-

Why was Rooney picked for every game when he really wasn't on form?

Why wasn't Joe Cole starting every game?

Why did our top scorer in qualify spend all or most of every game warming the bench?

This is why I coach under tens for free and Fabio gets paid millions eh?:biglaugh:

Guest n_n_d
I would say that of the seeded teams Italy and France were worse than England. ;)

Okay England didn't play as they did in qualifying but they always let themselves and the country down. BUT I would say while the team were awful I thought Steven Gerrard played very well and I dare to say world class. Just because he had no one to play with dosen't make him less of a player.

Why did our top scorer in qualify spend all or most of every game warming the bench?

This is why I coach under tens for free and Fabio gets paid millions eh?:biglaugh:

Totally agree

One to add to the list why didn't they take Theo Walcott ?

Was it because of the public outcry last time.....

Its always the same old same old story.....

HG

Not really, how often have they been turned over in the fashion Germany did to them?

But it is time to face the fact that we just don't have the same skill level as many of the top teams. In previous times, we could out work teams and rely a coupe of players who could go past a man (with the ball!) - how many England players can do that against even mediocre teams?

Cooler

Guest SA Great
England always think they have a great team they need to wake up to them self they done it as a fluke 1966 as it was played on home ground they will never win the world cup again they have not got the ability or the players look at the English league it full of players from around the world name one world class player in the England team now I dare you????

But they will always be better than Scotland

Guest Chelseadownunder

For lack of pasion and the old bull dog spirit they were wowfull. Weres the Gazza spirit. They gave the impresion that they were overpaid pre-madonnas rather than an unbreakable team. Maybe they need "The Special one", Marinio if they can afford him.

Guest cornish Busdriver

I wouldnt say they were the worst but defo up there with the worst of them.

Over paid, over rated and too old.

Wheres all the young blood, surley england had more to offer than these old guys who just havnt got the legs or passion to keep up with the younger teams.

Unless england changes it attiude and starts bringing in the young players its never even gonna get close to a world cup ever again.

Its a well known fact that england relys on experience but it aint no good if the experienced players cant keep up.

But its not just the players and managers who are to blame it the fans as well who go out and buy all the merchandise and game tickets. Its the fans that are paying them to live like this and makes it possible for them to get away with it.

If everyone stopped buying into all the promotion stuff and stopped going to the games, soon enough they would listen to what the fans want and change but if people keep it going the way it is then Uk football as a whole and the england team will never change.

The true power and control of this sport is in the fans hands if only they would wake up and take action.

Ony the (football) uneducated fell for the line that England had a chance before the comp started. England have Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Terry as very good players, the rest are OK at best. The media need to hype the country up, but anyone who really thought England could win it were stupid or living in cloud cuckoo land.

When you rely on 2 or 3 players, and one of them, being Rooney are unfit you can't expect to win.

Spain, won it due to having a great squad, they pretty well won the WC with the world's best striker being off his game and not even needing Fabregas.

But as for England being the worst, not at all, France win that prize by a mile.

Guest SA Great
Its just like we hear all the time remember 1966

Actually Ian I have to agree with you on that one. 1966 was bloody ages ago....get over it and move on.

Guest SA Great
Oy, watch it, as someone who was born before 1966, I resent that!!! It was only a few years ago, really, just time for someone who is really, really , really young stlll to have grown up....:realmad:

So was I Diana....so was I!! It sucks doesnt it. Hey I was out your way the other day....have a new job where I drive all over Adelaide. Great view of the foothiils from Highbury.

Guest sunshine

You thought Steven Gerrard played very well.......when, what, are you serious?

As for Joe Cole starting every game did you see him when he came on against Algeria I think it was, he ran 10 yards and looked like he was gonna collapse, he was so far from being match fit it was hilarious.

The only way England will ever get into a position to challenge for honours is to reduce the amount of foreigners in the premier league to 2 or 3 per 1st XI and teach young kids how to play football properly not put them on a full size pitch with full size goals when they are 10 and then discourage them to hoof it upfield not encourage them. As this is unlikely to ever happen England will only get worse

Guest SA Great

As for Joe Cole starting every game did you see him when he came on against Algeria I think it was, he ran 10 yards and looked like he was gonna collapse, he was so far from being match fit it was hilarious.

The only way England will ever get into a position to challenge for honours is to reduce the amount of foreigners in the premier league to 2 or 3 per 1st XI and teach young kids how to play football properly not put them on a full size pitch with full size goals when they are 10 and then discourage them to hoof it upfield not encourage them. As this is unlikely to ever happen England will only get worse

And then we can all support Australia as they will be the better team!!

How very true.I agree with you 100%.The whole fiasco was embarrassing and there is an urgent need to rectify it by bringing in youthful players who WANT to play for their country!Bring on the young guns.:D

Guest 20legend
And then we can all support Australia as they will be the better team!!

Not if the quality of the A league is anything to go by, England where bad but Australia were abysmal

Guest 20legend
For lack of pasion and the old bull dog spirit they were wowfull. Weres the Gazza spirit. They gave the impresion that they were overpaid pre-madonnas rather than an unbreakable team. Maybe they need "The Special one", Marinio if they can afford him.

Which Gazza spirit are you talking about the gazza spirit that gets booked in a WC semi final and banned for the next game and then cries his eyes out, the gazza spirit that beats up his wife, the gazza spirit that gets dropped from the 98 WC squad for being a drunk and then smashing his hotel room up, the Gazza spirit that went to see Raoul Moat in his hideout with a fishing rod and can of Lager. Just wondered which one it was??

I dont think the old bull dog spirit helps much when the English players cant pass the ball 5 yards to a team mate.