Guest New2SA

Driving to Sydney

Guest New2SA

Hi

Has anyone driven from Adelaide to Sydney that can recommend the best/quickest route? Thanks!!

Basicaly there is only 1 route to Sydney, via the Freeway to Murray Bridge & Tailem Bend, where the road forks. Take the left fork for Taperoo and Pinnaroo and just follow the signposts for Sydney.

I have just driven to Brisbane and back, over 2200 klms and found no problems finding Motels etc en route, but to make things comfortable think in terms of a 3 day drive.

Google Maps will let you work out routes etc.

Good Luck

Guest The Dimmocks
    Hi

Has anyone driven from Adelaide to Sydney that can recommend the best/quickest route? Thanks!![/quote

Hi

Sounds like a long drive, will have to try and meet up before you go xxx

Guest kangomik

18 hours i am told straight drive.

Or hop on a plane.

The buses go via the Sturt Highway :

Adelaide - Gawler - Nurioopta - Blanchetown - Waikerie - Barmera - Berri - Renmark - Mildura - Euston - Balranald - Hay - Narrandera - Wagga Wagga - Gundagai (where the dog sits on the tuckerbox) - Yass - Goulburn - Liverpool - Sydney

This takes the buses approx 24 hours, but they stop a lot and detour to Canberra and other places along the route.

An alternative route is via the Barrier Highway (Greyhound used to go this way too) :

Adelaide - Gawler - Burra - Olary - Cockburn - Broken Hill - Wilcannia - Cobar - Nyngan - Dubbo - Orange - Bathurst - Lithgow - Penrith - Sydney

Personally I'd find the 2nd route far more interesting scenically, going across the desert and through the Blue Mountains, but the 1st route is probably the quicker of the two.

Guest Mikemouseton

Did the drive in about 17 hours. Crossing the Hay Plain. Lots of nothing.

Guest cbeeb

drove stopped in hay overnight and took bus liked bus as we had no kids and i can sleep standing up.

We drove to Sydney a few years ago via the Blue Mountains (for a few days) and stopped at the 13 hour mark to stay somewhere overnight. If we had gone straight to Sydney I think it would have taken 17-18 hours. It was via the Hay Plains - it was pretty boring but there were two of us and we took it in turns taking a nap while the other drove. If you've got time to stop through the Blue Mountains I would highly recommend it - a beautiful area. The RAA has a good trip planner RAA - Travel - Maps - Trip Planner

Guest MrsHills

We went via Murray Bridge, Lameroo Pineroo etc. we came back once via the Hay plain and it seems to take forever. We have done the journey there and back fours times so far and done mind at all, there are some great little towns to stop in along the way, but beware the NSWTraffic Cops just over the border from Vic!!!