AFL is a joke

Guest downunder123

Heheheeh ok if you wish to belive that then go ahead...but for all the people who were around in say even the 50's who believe they were singing during matches then hey they are all liars lol ;) wow the contempt of youth ;)

Oh how I like you, me youthful :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Nothing wrong in you admitting being wrong, I am occasionally, nut not on this one!!

Mr Bus Driver, I do try and make people laugh, I am pleased you like the humour. And at what point did I say the game is not physical? I don't think I have ever said its a crap game, it 'MAY" be something I like or don't like, but that is my opinion, and to come on a forum (like others) and bag something is unfair and unjustified. The fact I may not like it doesn't make it a bad sport......

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest downunder123

Not sure why Cornish bus driver turned this thread into arguing that AFL is a better game than football. The whole debate was surrounding the boring and dull atmosphere of AFL.

Cornish- all you go on about is that AFL is a tougher and rougher sport than Football - yes yes yawn yawn thats all South Australians go on about. I didnt realise a sport was based on how tough the men are? If thats whats important to you then thats your own personal business but I watch sport for the skill factor nothing else.

I think it's ok. I don't watch it and will never follow it but i live here now so you have to show a degree of respect to our cultural differences. I like friendly banter over which sport is best, primarily because we can all poke holes in every sport until the cows come home.

I do think the argument that AFL is better because soccer players wouldn't last a minute because they'd get beaten up etc etc is utterly futile though. My idea of sport isn't people getting pushed over or grappled, but hey, that's just me. I don't believe you're more of a man if you can jump on someone or have a fight.

I like that soccer players are (by and large) utter pansies, because the best soccer is sometimes a result of flamboyance and is a result of the evolution of the sport over time. I like it for what it is. AFL fans like it for what it is. You cannot preach to the converted, you'll end up like that guy in Oxford Circus with the megaphone shouting about this that and the other who everyone laughs at.

I used to go to see Premier League soccer a lot in London and around most of the big grounds in the UK. Loved it and very exciting, but there was always a violent undercurrent, particularly 20 and more years ago. I always felt reasonably safe because I went with my mates and knew my way around.

Now I am a season ticket holder at the crows and I love it as well. 2 very different games, both skillful in their own ways.

At AAMI, I am completely confident to bring my kids to see the matches. I know they will be safe. They enjoy it and it gives me a great buzz knowing they can relax and have fun in a safe environment. Yes, the atmosphere is not great but it can be good at times. The match against Geelong this year being a good example. I believe you get a greater percentage of exciting matches than in soccer and the pace of the game is faster on the whole.

Everyone to their own. Celebrate the differences and if you dont like Aussie Rules, don't go. We all have choices!

Guest Guest75
Not sure why Cornish bus driver turned this thread into arguing that AFL is a better game than football. The whole debate was surrounding the boring and dull atmosphere of AFL.

Cornish- all you go on about is that AFL is a tougher and rougher sport than Football - yes yes yawn yawn thats all South Australians go on about. I didnt realise a sport was based on how tough the men are? If thats whats important to you then thats your own personal business but I watch sport for the skill factor nothing else.

Speaking as a non understander of soccer.

What I cannot get my head around is the fact that UK soccer depends upon so much bought in and foreign "talent"

Plus the violence by the "fans":wideeyed::wideeyed:

Guest watts10
I think this is a very offensive post indeed.

VERY chauvinist.

Personally I am furious regarding your comments above!

There are many women here (two are my friends) who know more than blokes about the game - and have more passion too.

I am asking you to take back this comment and apologise- or the old infringement bat comes out.:skeptical::skeptical::skeptical:

As for agreeing with downunder123 - well he is your flatmate!!!

well said tyke! bet my wife could teach him a few things about contact sport...lol

never mind the afl or soccer, ufc rules!....lol

Guest bigmouth

OK Tyke- I take back my comments about woman and sport.

I think your comments about "plus the violence by the fans" (refering to soccer in the UK). This is not true - although there is tension between fans (which creates part of the atmosphere) you will find violence within a footballl ground does not exist anymore.

There again you said yourself you are a non understander of soccer.

Guest Guest75
OK Tyke- I take back my comments about woman and sport.

I think your comments about "plus the violence by the fans" (refering to soccer in the UK). This is not true - although there is tension between fans (which creates part of the atmosphere) you will find violence within a footballl ground does not exist anymore.

There again you said yourself you are a non understander of soccer.

I shall remove your offensive comments.

I've not kept up with soccer events so no idea how it really is with crowds now.

I'm a Leeds Lad and used to drink with The Crew , so know a bit about the organised violence that did go on.

Guest Guest75
Careful now. I sense a strange foreboding in the air!You new boys need to watch your step,this ain't no place for controversial statements or lively debate,you do so at your peril.Even as we speak the Clique are gathering to pour scorn on you with great vitriol.You may even be accused of the heinous crime of being a "Troll".The ultimate shame may soon fall upon you,you could even receive an exclusive PIA "infraction"!That truly is a fate worse than death itself.Be aware,this is no laughing matter!;)

Tyke sniffs and get's the wiff of Bullpoo:p:p:p

Guest guest3462

Moderators, I think its time so say goodbye to a certain few (or more likely just the one person with several alias's) members on here. It has quickly become a stale and boring game. Time to act I think, its not fair on the respectable members of this forum to have to read thses threads.

Guest Guest75
Moderators, I think its time so say goodbye to a certain few (or more likely just the one person with several alias's) members on here. It has quickly become a stale and boring game. Time to act I think, its not fair on the respectable members of this forum to have to read thses threads.

It's been a case of "give em' enough rope"

If enough complaints are received then action can be taken :D

Guest Django

Jeeeeeeeeez Whats the point of this thread. Afl is in my opinion a naff game BUT some people like it so happy days. Not all south aussies love it. I work with many aussies who can't stand it or understand why others love it. My favourite sport is cricket and I would say that more people like aussie rules to that so what???? Each to their own. Just because some people like a sport and others don't doesn't m,ake it a good or bad sport. It just goes to show that we are all different and like different things which surely is a good thing isn't it???????

So long live AFL I won't be watching it but others love it so why knock it????

Guest 20legend

I'm a Leeds Lad and used to drink with The Crew , so know a bit about the organised violence that did go on.

haha I dont know who you are trying to impress with this line but it just makes you look a bit sad

Guest bigmouth

Im sure Tyke will be able to confirm from IP addresses whether I am the same person or not as 20legend (which Im not). The only reason you say this is becasue you have a few people on here disagreeing with you. Forums are set up to get different view point and not nthe same view point from the usual suspects. If all you want to do is agree with each other then please just use facebook for social networking. This site (so it says on the home page) has been set up for people worldwide to read information and to find out different views on topics relating to south australia. Posting threads such as thanking someone for making cupo cakes hardly helps many people weigh things up or progress forward.

Guest Guest75
Im sure Tyke will be able to confirm from IP addresses whether I am the same person or not as 20legend (which Im not). The only reason you say this is becasue you have a few people on here disagreeing with you. Forums are set up to get different view point and not nthe same view point from the usual suspects. If all you want to do is agree with each other then please just use facebook for social networking. This site (so it says on the home page) has been set up for people worldwide to read information and to find out different views on topics relating to south australia. Posting threads such as thanking someone for making cupo cakes hardly helps many people weigh things up or progress forward.

20legend is a separate ID ,Bigmouth and Downunder123 are posting from the same address.

There is a whole world of difference between discussion and stirring the pot.:skeptical:

Guest Guest75
haha I dont know who you are trying to impress with this line but it just makes you look a bit sad

Not trying to impress at all,I abhor this sort of violence.Just saying I had an insight into the organised violence surrounding soccer.:skeptical: