Guest david_parry1

Haven't a clue!!!

Guest david_parry1

We are visiting Adelaide in January and are now wanting to get an idea of where to stay and visit? We literally haven't a clue what to do? What is the norm when people are checking Adelaide out? Do we stay in hotels or hostels? Should we stay is different places or just a central point? We will only be there for 7 days as we are visiting Melbourne too. Although we know this isn't going to be long enough to get a proper idea of the place but we would like to see a bit of real life, rather than just the tourist perspective. Any advice will be greatly appreciated? Cheers :v_SPIN:

Guest watts10

south adelaide is nicer,motel or holiday rental, contact tyke on this site, he has a few houses to rent

Guest Roo1

To get an "Australian at home" view point, then yes a furnished rental maybe the way to go. Compared to hotels (and even caravan parks) here in Adelaide, they can work out a lot cheaper.

But you still should do the tourist thing too, so maybe find somewhere in a suburb with good train and bus links to the city and beaches.

cheers

Judi

Guest cornish Busdriver

On our reccie we stayed in one palce and used it as a base to go out and explore from.

I would pick a copy up of saturdays advertiser to see where the open houses will be on that weekend so you could see what you could afford on your budget.

Just drive around untill you find an area you like then check out the shopping centre and amities for that area.

Most of all talk to people, aussies like to talk and gives you the real attitude of the place as well.

south adelaide is nicer..

With only a week here, I would strongly recommend finding somewhere central to stay - otherwise you will spend most of your time in a car driving around! In January, you may like to be beachside so have a look somewhere like Glenelg, otherwise there are apartments in the city that have pools which is a good idea at that time of year.

You will need to plan your time pretty carefully, to fit as much as possible in. Don't forget to schedule "fun stuff" too! A visit to Mount Lofty at the start of the week is good as that gives you a birdseye view of the Adelaide area, so you can get a feel for the lie of the land. It's also a spectacular drive up there, there is a nice cafe, gift shop - watch the video they have there (I think they still have it running) about the terrible bushfires in the area about 1980 - and afterwards pay a visit to Cleland Wildlife park - loads of animals there and a lovely place to wonder around.

Also, another reason I say to base yourself centrally depends on your line of work. Most manufacturing and industry for instance is based to the north, with just small pockets in the south, so don't limit yourself workwise by just looking at one area.

Make sure you pick up a copy of the local paper The Advertiser on Saturday as this has a jobs section and housing section, including rental properties. When you are travelling around too, pick up a copy of the free local paper The Messenger to get a feel for what's going on in a particular area (these are often available in small shops, or supermarkets - they are free as I mentioned)

For internet access, if you are not bringing a laptop, pop into a local library. There are a couple of excellent ones in the city - I used to go into one at the bottom of Hutt Street.

Oh, and go to the Central Market on a Friday night, followed by something to eat along Gouger Street!

A friend of mine runs a company that will look after you on your recce visit, and make sure your time is well spent - organising appointments for you beforehand etc - they are called Home2Home settlements - might be worth a look at their website to see if this is something that might help, but obviously the decision is yours and I wouldn't try and influence you in any way ;)(although they are very good, and if you read some of their testimonials you will see the kind of thing they have done for people in similar situations in the past). The website is Welcome to the NEW Home2Home website or you can send an email to mandy@h2h.com.au (they also have a UK based helpdesk)

HTH

Diane

Guest SA Great
    With only a week here, I would strongly recommend finding somewhere central to stay - otherwise you will spend most of your time in a car driving around! In January, you may like to be beachside so have a look somewhere like Glenelg, otherwise there are apartments in the city that have pools which is a good idea at that time of year.

You will need to plan your time pretty carefully, to fit as much as possible in. Don't forget to schedule "fun stuff" too! A visit to Mount Lofty at the start of the week is good as that gives you a birdseye view of the Adelaide area, so you can get a feel for the lie of the land. It's also a spectacular drive up there, there is a nice cafe, gift shop - watch the video they have there (I think they still have it running) about the terrible bushfires in the area about 1980 - and afterwards pay a visit to Cleland Wildlife park - loads of animals there and a lovely place to wonder around.

Also, another reason I say to base yourself centrally depends on your line of work. Most manufacturing and industry for instance is based to the north, with just small pockets in the south, so don't limit yourself workwise by just looking at one area.

Make sure you pick up a copy of the local paper The Advertiser on Saturday as this has a jobs section and housing section, including rental properties. When you are travelling around too, pick up a copy of the free local paper The Messenger to get a feel for what's going on in a particular area (these are often available in small shops, or supermarkets - they are free as I mentioned)

For internet access, if you are not bringing a laptop, pop into a local library. There are a couple of excellent ones in the city - I used to go into one at the bottom of Hutt Street.

Oh, and go to the Central Market on a Friday night, followed by something to eat along Gouger Street!

A friend of mine runs a company that will look after you on your recce visit, and make sure your time is well spent - organising appointments for you beforehand etc - they are called Home2Home settlements - might be worth a look at their website to see if this is something that might help, but obviously the decision is yours and I wouldn't try and influence you in any way ;)(although they are very good, and if you read some of their testimonials you will see the kind of thing they have done for people in similar situations in the past). The website is Welcome to the NEW Home2Home website or you can send an email to mandy@h2h.com.au (they also have a UK based helpdesk)

HTH

Diane

LOL As soon as I saw south is nicer I just knew that you might reply!! Seriously guys...do check out the North as well. Around Highbury is gorgeous as are some of the hills areas like Houghton, Tea Tree Gully area etc. I must say that south is great for beaches but if you are not a beach person then the North East is worth a visit. Now I am driving 1000kms a week around Adelaide it has opened my eyes to other suburbs!! I love Yatala Vale as well!!

7 days isn't long, especially if you arrive in Adelaide direct from the UK and are jet-lagged - that will take a few days to get over. Are you going to be relying on public transport or will you be hiring a car? You could maybe stay in a couple of places over the week, suggest the city and by the beach. Glenelg is the biggest, busiest place by the beach with plenty of accommodation and the tram into the city.

For places to visit I would suggest

- somewhere in the Adelaide Hills (as Diane say Mount Lofty is great for getting your bearings), also consider Hahndorf, just to get out and see the scenery

- somewhere by the beach. Glenelg is lively but it might be nice to also see a quieter beach suburb such as Brighton, Henley Beach or Semaphore

- the southern suburbs if possible - the scenery is different again (less urban) and lots of Brits tend to head there too, even if all you can do is take the train to Noarlunga . Would be good to visit one of the southern beaches like Moana or even get as far as Victor Harbor on the south coast

- obviously the city - Rundle Mall, North Terrace, Central Markets, parklands etc

- if you want to do the tourist thing then visit the Barossa or McClaren Vale wineries but that won't give you much of an idea what it's like to live here (but will be enjoyable)

You probably won't get to see all these places in a week but this might give you some ideas of places to research a bit more. As suggested earlier try and go to some open inspections for houses (you just roll up when you see a board outside, usually at the weekend) or else find a developement of new housing and have a look around the show homes. Eat out, sample the restaurants, visit the shops and the supermarkets.

I'm sure if you do a search on this site you will find old threads with suggestions on accommodation for reccies - do a search.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Everyones missed the most vital and most important things of all when you come to Adelaide CUDDLE A KOALA and FEED KANGA'S.

Who here has'nt lol lol lol lol

Guest wijaya

As your plan, we visited Adelaide back in April for a week, but stopped over in Malaysia for 2 days to acclimatise ourself before reaching Australia. Many things have been mentioned by previous posts, and one that really beneficial for us was the chance to see house on sale on Open Day. We rented a car from Aussie Car Rentals, and by using sat nav, we could really "explored areas around Adelaide.

Regards

wijaya