Whats this all about....

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Should a mother be allowed to feed her baby in public?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should a mother be allowed to feed her baby in public?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

Guest guest3462

I agree Tracey. Mothers are free to make the choice to feed their baby in the best way for them. I would never condemn anyone choosing to formula feed over breast feeding. As a mother myself, I breast and bottle fed both my girls and i'm sure I will do the same with this next one.

No one mentioned that formula feeding mothers were inferior or even insinuated this, and as a health professional who deals in babies from birth I certainly would never wish to disrespect anyones feeding methods. If you were made to feel guilty for giving up breast feeding, then I am sorry, that should not have happened, but nurses, health visitors and midwives are only imparting the vital information that they know in order to give mum an informed choice. The evidence we are presented with is that "breast is best" and therefore try to action this statement in our work.

Breast feeding mums have been on the losing end of this battle of feeding in public for years and years and no amount of baby friendly policies will ever change human perception. I always think its funny to go to Ikea, where they freely display breast feeding friendly signs everywhere, then kindly point mums to sit in a small area screened off from the general viewing public!

On a different note though the only thing that has ever made me cringe is the sight of young children sucking tea through a bottle, eeeuuwww!!!

Guest downunder123
And thats what I said doesn't work for everyone and some just don't want to not got a problem with it at all I was just pointing out that why should a woman BF be asked to stop feeding the baby when a bottle fed baby is fine to feed anywhere. Certainly was not getting at those that don't or can't feed, yes I fed all 5 of mine but 1 of them I only fed for 2 weeks. Yes health care professionals do make you feel bad if you don't but a lot of the time this is because they 'have' to promote BF. In my eyes do what you want to do as long as the baby is fed and healthy who cares how it gets the milk but don't persecute those that do BF their babies cause it is a natural thing to do. Didn't mean to offend and sorry if I did.

Trakki - you cant compare Breast feeding to bottle feeding on buses as the whole reason in the first place the thread was raised was becasue someone got their zaps out on a bus. If you bottle feed on a bus AND also get your zaps out then your asking to be get chucked off the bus.

Cornish bus driver - on one hand your saying you think personally its ok for woman to breast feed on a bus and then on the other hand you have admitted that you chucked someone off a bus once to "cover your ass"? If you believe something is OK, surely there was a better way to deal with CUSTOMERS on your bus, rather than just booting someone off your bus whilst they are in the middle of breast feeding. Contradicted yourself somewhat here????

Guest cornish Busdriver

If you only knew the full story.

A passenger came up to me complaining of this woman breat feeding which i dont have any problems with. The problem was that she had the whole breast out and exposing it in full view of everyone else. I simply asked her to cover up a bit or could she wait until she got off to which she replied out loud with a load of swear words in front of kids.

This i dont stand for at all no-matter who they are or what they are doing.

Guest guest3462

Cornish you don't have to justify your actions to this person. You acted professionally and i'm sure all your passengers would have thought so too.

He/she has successfully hijacked yet another thought provoking debate and turned it into a game for his/her cheap entertainment. There are serious issues here up for debate, but this person (whom I believe to have some serious issues with schizophrenia and multiple personalities) has no intellectual ideation of healthy debate and serves purpose only to cause upset and havoc. I think it's time to evict the troll.

Guest downunder1234
If you only knew the full story.

A passenger came up to me complaining of this woman breat feeding which i dont have any problems with. The problem was that she had the whole breast out and exposing it in full view of everyone else. I simply asked her to cover up a bit or could she wait until she got off to which she replied out loud with a load of swear words in front of kids.

This i dont stand for at all no-matter who they are or what they are doing.

How did you know the woman was in full view with her zaps exposed in full view to everyone else? Surely you would have been too busy concetrating on keeping passengers safe by keeping your eyes on the road??

As soon as anyone challenges tyke or bus driver they shut down the thread etc. Also, CHURCH -very dissapointed at your comments- once again VERY abusive ones - surely its YOU who should be banned??

Guest Guest75
How did you know the woman was in full view with her zaps exposed in full view to everyone else? Surely you would have been too busy concetrating on keeping passengers safe by keeping your eyes on the road??

As soon as anyone challenges tyke or bus driver they shut down the thread etc. Also, CHURCH -very dissapointed at your comments- once again VERY abusive ones - surely its YOU who should be banned??

No - it's you who are banned...........Bye:policeman:

I would never condone anyone choosing to formula feed over breast feeding.

I hope this was a typo and you meant "condemn" not "condone" - as Lorluc said above, some don't breast feed for various reasons and it makes my blood boil when they are criticised for this without people knowing the full story.

And by the way, everyone is entitled to their views guys, but please don't descend into personal insults. The best discussions have a range of different views, but if you have strong feelings one way or another, be prepared to encounter differing views and don't try and shout down any dissenters and assume that your views are the only ones that are worth hearing!

Guest guest3462

Oh my gosh Diane!! I really need to change that!! Thankyou for pointing it out. I think I need to do a short course in English! I will change it now thanks! x

Churchj1 & Trakki.....no offence taken....

Just think sometimes, those of us who chose not to, are made to feel guilty and inferior....I certainly was, but remember this was 20 years ago now, so things may have changed...but having said that my youngest is 7...so wasn't too long ago that i had a small one...

Guest nicandchris

I think that people have to try and understand how stressful it can be taking a baby out generally and especially if the trip requires a bus ride (i would dread to have to do this its bad enough using a car!). Lets think about it; the mum is prob completely knackered anyway from being up all night with the baby, physically drained from feeding him/her. She will be feeling quite tense anyway with 'just the thought' of going onto a bus and the baby wanting a feed 'there and then' (which happens) with the publics negative attitude toward it, and then if it does happen then the potential of being to 'get off the bus' if a) she does feed the baby or b) she doesnt feed the baby and it starts screaming. God i dont think id go out in pubic at all! Its bad enough being the minority now bf (i was the only lady to bf from my whole ward in the hospital) without further hassle as we are discussing now! For god sake its whats best for the baby surly, cant the public put up with a little discomfort now and again!!

Guest nicandchris

Additional point: I seemed to have missed out on 3 pages of comments so potentially my last post is a little out of place? I think that definately it is a matter of choice how a person chooses to feed their baby but i have to admit that i was very surprised when i gave birth almost six months ago how i seemed the minority to be honest. I do wonder why this is, is it because of the problems such as bf when out in public? Convenience i imagine for bottle feeding could be an obvous choice despite bf supposing to be easier (well it is in the middle of the night). Each to their own but lets not let people feel bad for what they do, life is too short isnt it? ps yes as a newish member im surprised about how personal people get on this thing about each other! (am i making sense? just ive had a few nights of no sleep too!!!)