Guest janmoo

Flights and bringing aunt who needs accompanied return flights help!

Guest janmoo

Hi guys

We are about to book our flights for migrating to adelaide. The situation is hubby and i want to bring our active 70 yr old aunt who will stay with us on the 3 month eta. However we are looking to book for 26 seot 2010 this means she would be returning to lhr on 26 dec and would need put on a flight to belfast. Does qantas do accompanied flights or is anyone heading to lhr around that time?

We are at a loss here if hubby comes back then he will have to book a return flight. We really need advice on what to do. Prices are awful like £1100 each with only 20kg each. Oh we are sooo close now even got a long term rental organised in gorgeous glenelg!

Would love your help and cant wait to meet you all xx thanks

Guest sarahsmartiepants

how active is she? My mum flys out on her own each yr and she is 75. She does it without help, there is help available from the airlines as this year she hurt her back and needed help to sit then stand, singapore airlines were great they helped her out every step of the way, including someone to do the inflight baggage and her checked baggage. She had a wheelchair and she got on first and was given the time she needed to "arrange" herself!!

hope that helps.

Guest janmoo
    how active is she? My mum flys out on her own each yr and she is 75. She does it without help, there is help available from the airlines as this year she hurt her back and needed help to sit then stand, singapore airlines were great they helped her out every step of the way, including someone to do the inflight baggage and her checked baggage. She had a wheelchair and she got on first and was given the time she needed to "arrange" herself!!

hope that helps.

She is very active and perfectly compus mentus! Its the hubbys aunt and HE doesnt want her flying by herself! She could perfectly well travel alone but he wont hear of it so the dilemma rages on, meanwhile the rental in glenelg starts 1 sept and we ve to start paying it. Trouble is we cant leave until mid to end sept coz it means her 3 month eta will expire before xmas!

Wot a mess. Does anyone know how strict they are on the eta ie if it runs over by a couple of days? H e l p ! Im losing the plot here among the packing boxes!:arghh:

Guest guest3462

Once you are in Aus on an ETA, you can apply for an extention up to 6 months. This should sort you out no bother! Just ring up the australian consulate in London to confirm, but i'm sure that is the case.

Guest janmoo
    Once you are in Aus on an ETA, you can apply for an extention up to 6 months. This should sort you out no bother! Just ring up the australian consulate in London to confirm, but i'm sure that is the case.

Thanks for that! Now the only problem is can nme and the aunt and the hubby all live together for that long? Ha ha watch the advertiser aroubd november time! I will be dangling the aunt by the feet over the balcony of the apartment by about then!

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming folks! Oh by the way whats the weather like? Shud be warmin up a wee bit. And what time does it get dark in the winter there?

Guest jpr parker

hi the weather today is terrible ive had the heating on since i got up.it gets dark around 6 ish now but at the start of autumn it was dark at 5.roll on summer.

I had that same dilemma but in reverse with my elderly Father a few years ago. We were planning a holiday to England to visit family and I needed to travel further afield and he needed to get back to Adelaide. There is no way Dad would have been able to travel back on his own, his English isn't the best and his eyesight is also poor. We flew with Qantas and they had a great service for older people. On the return trip I took Dad to Heathrow, checked him in and then met the Qantas steward at a pre-arranged spot. There were other people being met there also and it is a bit like a minding service they provide and they keep an eye on everyone to make sure that they are following and get on the right plane etc. I can understand your OH worry as my Dad tends to wander and because his eyesight and hearing is not the best I was worried where he would end up! But he got home fine and it all turned out well. I can't imagine that Qantas wouldn't run that service and if your aunt is "with it" she should be fine. It was something we discussed with Qantas when we were booking and the main reasons we travelled with Qantas. So definitely give them a ring. Cheers

Guest janmoo

Thanks for that will ring them this morning! We are now just one step away from oz! There are soo many to overcome from start to finish of the whole emigrating process being down to one is amazing! Everyone here is so helpful we are very lucky to have a website to support each other. Everyone can come to mine for some face to face group therapy to help me settle in thanks so much. And good luck to all

I for one will be enjoying the summer as well. Here in n irealn it rained all of july!