Guest tpgc03

Duvet Dilemma

Guest tpgc03

We have just invested in a King size bed, as an awful lot of you have recommended to bring as much kit over as possible! So naturally we have bought the bedding, new mattress etc, however, our dilemma is which quilt tog to go for :confused:

Can anyone advise us in terms of tog rating, what temp does it go down to during winter nights?

Tog very much...:biglaugh:

I'd get one of those double layer ones. We have one on our bed and its fab. Can also be washed in the machine at home as you can do one layer at a time. You can clip them together in winter for a toasty duvet and in spring/autumn have only one layer, either the thick or thin one. In summer it'd be just a sheet.

I know when I've been in Adelaide, spring and autumn, I've been grateful for something thicker and warmer in the spring time for sure. And hubby in winter used to love a warm duvet and a blanket on occasion.

Guest The Dimmocks

Morphett Vale Weather Forecast, SA 5162 - WillyWeather

min temp for next tuesday is 3. It gets really cold especially as houses (well ours anyway) not designed for the winter. Get the biggest tog you can get. I have never worn socks in bed but since we moved here I have :-).

Also bed sizes here are different so be good to invest in some new covers, sheets for your new bed.

Guest Drumms

We've bought a couple of duvets from IKEA, which are really thin, almost sheets, but with a bit of weight. They are only about £6!

Guest the4hopes

We also have two light quilts and use them both on the bed in winter.

Guest guest3462

We brought our big winter duvet over with us from the UK and sometimes we still need a blanket on top!! But, in spring/autumn, a cheap one from coles (about $10) does the trick. In summer we just have a sheet on, and that is just so we don't get attacked by the mozzies otherwise it'd be nothing! We bought one of the jumbo vac pack bags and put all our duvets into it to ship out, they shrank down to next to nothing and really were a godsend come winter!!

Morphett Vale Weather Forecast, SA 5162 - WillyWeather

min temp for next tuesday is 3. It gets really cold especially as houses (well ours anyway) not designed for the winter. Get the biggest tog you can get. I have never worn socks in bed but since we moved here I have :-).

Also bed sizes here are different so be good to invest in some new covers, sheets for your new bed.

TOTALLY AGREE - and don't forget to bring the hot water bottle! I've bought 3 since I arrived. No insulation in houses means when you turn off the heat, it drops within minutes.

Get a warm one, and get it before you come over. we recently bought a new doona, the thickest warmest one in the shop, and it's nowhere near as thick as the ones I had back in europe (UK/Switzerland). It gets cold indoors at night in winter, we have to have a blanket as well as the duvet, and a hot water bottle or two definitely won't go amiss.

I would also highly recommend getting an electric throw blanket for the couch. it's a godsend, and can be machine washed if anything gets spilled on it :)

Incidentally, a King Size bed bought in the UK is called a Queen Size here... but if you're buying your bedding in the UK too that won't matter!!

Guest joolz
    We have just invested in a King size bed, as an awful lot of you have recommended to bring as much kit over as possible! So naturally we have bought the bedding, new mattress etc, however, our dilemma is which quilt tog to go for :confused:

Can anyone advise us in terms of tog rating, what temp does it go down to during winter nights?

Tog very much...:biglaugh:

Yep there is no central heating to wake you up to a toasty house!!!! We found that the warm flannelette sheets are expensive to buy but you can get cheap thin fleece blankets which we used over the bottom sheets to keep us snug...good tip!!

We brought new bed and bedding ourselves and thank goodness. We have a 13.5 tog quilt and certainly the cold nights here you will need it. We have even had our electric blankets on - believe it or not. Friends of ours who already live here asked us to bring some quilts over for them as the Aussi quilts apparently are not as warm as ours. Certainly the summer ones in the stores will be fine but the cold nights - bring your 13.5 tog over. The quilts here are not in togs, they just have light, warm and winter use but having said that they are not a patch on ours. Also any bedding, bed throws, dress pillows etc I would recommend bringing as they are so expensive bed sets here and I don't think as nice. Wish Dunelms was here!!!