Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonny no cash

Hgv 1 driver

Guest jonny no cash

What are the prospects for hgv1 driving in Adelaide,also 10 years bus driving exp any advice guys

Guest guest569

I believe bus drivers are well paid. next door but one to me has started doing it and loves it.

Guest cornish Busdriver
    What are the prospects for hgv1 driving in Adelaide,also 10 years bus driving exp any advice guys

Hiya Mate.

First UK HGV / LGV and PSV / PCV licence’s are not valid here; i was surprised at that one as having my HGV1 with ADR and my PSV so had to re-do my test.

Truck and bus license are the same here, pass your test in one means you can drive the other as well apart from the road trains there another test again.

If you do your bus test with a bus company you will only have an auto license as all bus's here are bloody automatics but if you do your truck test with a private company you can do it in a manual and then automatically get your bus license at the same time.

My advice would be to get a bus driving job to get the license as its free apart from your are contracted to them for 12 months then after passing your bus test; do an upgrade to a manual which is a fraction of the cost of doing a manual license from fresh.

I work for Torrens Transit base at Morphettville when the training school is but we have depots all over the place.

If you are or have been a UK bus driver you will find it so easy here including the test.

The first 4 weeks is spent in the training school learning about all the normal bollox; company procedures, ticketing, customer services, doing your test and other stuff and you get paid a minimum of $400 per week.

Once your out on the road you spend 3 days with someone like me a buddy driver that will tell you to forget everything from training school. If were happy after 3 days with your driving then we will sign you off to go it alone then you are on full pay.

If you want more info call into the office on Oakland road or give Torrens a call on 8350 4400 or there website info and download an application pack Transit Systems: Torrens Transit .

Feel free to give me a shout as well if ya want any more info.

Guest jonny no cash

thanks for the reply matt,i sent an expression of interest to torrrens transit but heard nothing as yet,i expect they get loads of enquiries so i will apply in person when i get there,thats a shock over the licences i thought mine would be valid but i,ll get over it,i would prefer buses over hgv as i have 10 years psv exp,but only 4 years hgv at the moment im doing 13-14 hour night shifts and im shattered all weekend,i'd imagine the shifts might be better on the buses,thats sound advice that mate, hope you stay in touch ive posted a thread on the' welcome tag' explaining our situation at the moment if you want a read so cheers mate, just got to sell this house then im there

Guest cornish Busdriver

No-worries Mate.

On average we get a bout 40 in the training school each month.

Shifts are earlys, intermideates, splits and lates but we just agreed on a new contract so we get a minimum 38hrs per week, 5% payrise in the week and 8% weekends.

Guest RichandHelen

Looks like Im leaving Camerons ;)

Get me on the buses !!

Guest Chandan

Hi there...

not sure if this is helpful, but thought I'd mention it...

There is a bus/coach company on my road called Adelaide Coachlines.... maybe you could contact them to find out what you need. they are based in Edwardstown.

Good Luck

Guest shellymc

Hi

My hubby is a HGV class 1 driver and is wondering what the job situation is like, he is working for DHL and has been for a few years in the UK. Is it hard changing your licence over and is it easy to get a job? We are in the process of our visa and there is so many things to find out.

shelly(39) Crichton(39) kids age 8 and 6

Guest cornish Busdriver
    Hi

My hubby is a HGV class 1 driver and is wondering what the job situation is like, he is working for DHL and has been for a few years in the UK. Is it hard changing your licence over and is it easy to get a job? We are in the process of our visa and there is so many things to find out.

shelly(39) Crichton(39) kids age 8 and 6

Hiya Shelly.

You cant change HGV or PSV over, Hubby will have to resit his test again but it is really easy.

Guest Chandan

there is loads of work for HR, MR truck licence holders here in Adelaide.. particually with Removal companies. you get the pick of the litter as there is so much demand for them.

hope that helps