shipping a car is it worth it

Guest mandy.s

Guest mandy.s

Hi There,

I have been reading the posts on shipping cars over,

we have a crysler voyager and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on how much they would cost in oz to buy or would it be worth shipping over.

It is 6 years old, and over here in Scotland i would be lucky to get £4000 if i sold it, even though we paid £23,000. that is how quick they loose there price over here so would it be worth just bringing my car over.

we also have a mini which my hubby flew down to london to getand brough back up to scotland it is about 23 years old and his pride and joy (which sits in the garage) but I thought I had better ask about this one too

any advice would be great please

thanks from Mandy

I'd find out what it would cost you to buy something similar over here first - it's bound to be more expensive, but does the difference cover the shipping costs, handling fees and registration tax when you get it here?

I shipped my bike over and ended up financially better off, but there's a fair bit of paper work and faffing around to do. If you're only going to make less than $1000 or so, I wouldn't bother, I just did a search for a Chrysler Voyager on some of the sites over here and it doesn't show up very much, which means you're going to struggle to sell it over here.

Do some sums and go from there. Happy to talk you through the process if you decide to proceed.

good luck

Phil

Guest kangomik

red book possibly .com.au should give you a current rate in Aus.

Here in SA cars tend to hold value, but make sure your specs are the same for parts etc.

Contact a dealer over here for prices on new, then you can make comparrisons.

Guest ScottishLiam

Would recommend that you bring it, we came without both cars and van. Were bringing them over in January due 2 not owing them for over a year. So so expensive over here for cars and vans. Sample BMW X5 2003 you can get for 8 thousand pound here $50000+ Good Luck

Guest cornish Busdriver

Just done a search on www.carsales.com.au and the average price for your car is between 20K - 24K here but that is in very good condition and low K's.

If you bring it over you might have a problem getting that kinda money for it as the speedo will be in MPH not KPH plus make sure the aircon will cope with aussie weather.

Had a friend here who shipped there car over and had to have the aircon unit replaced as it wouldnt cope with the aussie weather.

Just bear that in mind as well

Guest mandy.s

hi there,

thanks for all the replys this has been very helpful,

i will not be selling as i will need it, but you have all given me some great advice and things to consider, Thanks again to you all

from Mandy

Guest snowy10
hi there,

thanks for all the replys this has been very helpful,

i will not be selling as i will need it, but you have all given me some great advice and things to consider, Thanks again to you all

from Mandy

Have a look at the following web site, there is some fantastic info reference importing cars to Oz.

Importing a Car to Australia | Moving to Melbourne