Guest allie

Does Australia share tax info with the UK?

Guest allie

Ok clever financially minded people I have a query! Does Aus share your tax/employent/any other info with the UK tax office? I have had a letter that seems a bit fishy so Im not sure if i am being scammed or if my info has actually been shared??

I cant find anything on google so next research step is here!

Allie

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie pat's other half here

According to Tax pack 2010 supplement: "Under our tax treaties foreign tax authorities tell us about income paid to and the tax withheld from Australian taxpayers. We use that information to check tax returns etc etc...". Oz has a tax treaty with UK. Whether this database is comprehensive and checks are comprehensive, or whether this is just to put the wind up everybody to keep you honest, who knows. Honesty always the best policy, not wishing to sound too sanctimonious.

Guest Aussie pat

Sorry, meant to go on to say that presumably the arrangement works both ways as your question was about ATO sharing with UK.

Guest allie

hmmm it's not about honesty with the tax people, its more that the letter came from a suspicious source with vague info. so now that i know there is a link i will have to bite the bullet and call the aussie tax people to see what info has been passed along to different agencies (which i was really hoping to avoid - its like talking to a plank!)

def dont want to be giving out details to people until I know it's all legit :)

thanks for the info

Ok clever financially minded people I have a query! Does Aus share your tax/employent/any other info with the UK tax office? I have had a letter that seems a bit fishy so Im not sure if i am being scammed or if my info has actually been shared??

I cant find anything on google so next research step is here!

Allie

I know of areas where Australia will give HMRC information. Can you be more specific??

Regards

Andy