spanners

Buying a car out of state

If I buy a used car out of state (probably Victoria), how straight forward is it to do whatever I need to do to register it in SA? Do I actually have to register it in SA at all?

I'm after a fairly normal car but there seems to be far more of the model I'm after in Victoria.

Thanks

Not 100% sure on this but if you buy a car in vic . When you bring it over here it I think it has to go to regency and get checked out to make sure its ok.

Unless you hold a current interstate registration certificate in exactly the same name as the intended South Australian registration the vehicle must have a vehicle inspection (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A ROADWORTHY) to confirm the correct identity of the vehicle. Contact Service SA for more information or go to http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Interstate+motorists/Driving+an+interstate+registered+vehicle

After the vehicle has been inspected you can provide the following information to a Service SA customer service centre:

• your completed application for registration and third party insurance and your inspection certificate
    • evidence of identity if you have not previously been issued a licence or registered a vehicle in South Australia
    • payment of fees. You can use the EzyReg fee calculator. To avoid paying stamp duty you will need to produce the interstate registration certificate showing the vehicle was registered in your name.

After you have registered the vehicle in South Australia you can apply to the state where the vehicle was previously registered for a refund of registration fees.

Guest tpgc03

interesting posts, we are thinking of buying a Kombi when we arrive in Oz. Our first stop will be Sydney for a friends wedding. So the plan was to buy a Kombi in NSW while we are there then take a steady drive over to Adelaide (we are allowing 3 - 4 days, possibly more)

So we have quite a few Q's for Service SA (just fired an e-mail off to them), one of which is registering a historic vehicle in SA and are Type 2 Kombi's (pre 1975) tax free?

Will keep you posted guys