What can we get back ??

ladycasper

Hi All, there seems to be a few financially bright folk out there ?

Also, there are lots of us here on the 495 2 year temp visa too !!

We all know how much it costs to get here and setting up a life here. I thought I might be a really good idea for us to share any tips on any expenses we can get back in order to start climbing back up that ladder ???

1. can any visa costs be claimed against tax ?

2. can fist time buyers grant be claimed after the 12 months retrospectivley ? if not can it be claimed on the home bought here ?

3. if we cant get first time buyers grant than can we claim and stamp duty back ? such what we pay when we buy a house and car ??

4. are they any other benefits for temporary/provisional residents that are tax payers ???

Hi, Were also on a temp visa 457 to be exact. Were looking into the living away from home allowance, which allows you to pay less tax, and more in your pocket. Were hoping that hubbies company will work this out with an outside company. We could gain $9500 extra in the year. Thats alot and will really help us as we are not entitled to any benefits for the kids.

Hi All, there seems to be a few financially bright folk out there ?

Also, there are lots of us here on the 495 2 year temp visa too !!

We all know how much it costs to get here and setting up a life here. I thought I might be a really good idea for us to share any tips on any expenses we can get back in order to start climbing back up that ladder ???

1. can any visa costs be claimed against tax ?

2. can fist time buyers grant be claimed after the 12 months retrospectivley ? if not can it be claimed on the home bought here ?

3. if we cant get first time buyers grant than can we claim and stamp duty back ? such what we pay when we buy a house and car ??

4. are they any other benefits for temporary/provisional residents that are tax payers ???

Hi there

I will try answer some of your questions.

1. can any visa costs be claimed against tax ? Sorry not a good start but don't think so.

2. can fist time buyers grant be claimed after the 12 months retrospectivley ? Yes if you get PR within 12 months of settlement/building completion ( a member on here is proof in the pudding on that one).

3. if we cant get first time buyers grant than can we claim and stamp duty back ?

such what we pay when we buy a house and car ?? As above for FHOG's, no on stamp duty.

4. are they any other benefits for temporary/provisional residents that are tax payers ??? There are some but more steered toward peolpe that have overseas savings/investments.

We were on the 495 visa initially and certainly know that it is not an easy visa to start out on especially for people with family. If it's any consolation it does pass quite quickly and things do seem to get better.

Andy