RockDr

Rude car driver

Just wanting to vent a little as I am feeling :arghh:

I was cycling to work this morning, minding my own business, just before 9am, so after the main earlybird rush, hence fewer cars on the road. At a red traffic light, this car pulls up in the lane next to me, winds down his window and starts hurling abuse at me for daring to be in the right hand lane on a bicycle (I was waiting to turn right), because it's illegal, that I hadn't paid my taxes so shouldn't be allowed on the road, and that I should move over to let the cars past (at a red light). I politely informed him that he needed to brush up on his road rules, as he was incorrect. He finally gave up on lecturing me about how I shouldn't be allowed to exist, and told me I should get a f*cking new dress and a hairdo. ???? Quite what that had to do with the situation I'm not sure...

So apparently, I choose to leave my (fully registered) car at home and take my life into my own hands cycling to work through the city, in order to reduce pollution, congestion and parking issues, for rude middle-aged men. Great.

:mad::arghh:

Guest MrsHills

He was obviously a toss*r, dont let him ruin your day, what goes around will come around....

Im sure your hair and dress were fine, unlike his manners!!

Guest Guest75

Sorry to hear that,just bad luck.

Also a a cyclist you are an easy target so it shows the moral fibre of the Dill picking on you.

Oh don't worry, didn't any comments personally (esp the dress/hair, that was just laughable), was just a rude reminder that there are some real a***holes out there. I feel sorry for the people he's working/living with. Just needed to vent the :arghh: adrenaline rush...

Guest rachinadelaide

My husband and I have both experienced similar when we've been out on our bikes. Not quite as abusive as your experience but never-the-less a clear indication of the way many people feel about cyclists. We've had food thrown at us, blokes yelling at us to get our effing fat arses off the road, and people who drive far too close and yell just to prove a point. Our neighbour recently told us he wished he could leave his wide towing wing mirrors on so he could take out a few bloody cyclists (he didn't know that we both cycle to work!).

When we first got here I was quite upste by it all but I'm over being sensitive now. There are many, many idiots around and I choose to feel sorry for them as they are obviously not enjoying life as much as we are!! (And I secretly hope they drive their gas-guzzling cars into a stobie-pole, that always makes me feel better too)

Guest Im Here

hehe sorry for laughing but what a w*nker. I would of told him to &*^% $ and concentrate on his driving or my friends in blue would make his life a misery

Guest Nick11

He must have the little man syndrome!!! Bet if you had been 6 foot tall with a beard and tattoos..he would have left you well alone.

hehe, yeah I must say I had to bite my tongue, but I do find it more satisfying to be extra-polite to people who are hurling abuse, gives you the moral upper-hand, and generally makes the idiot look even more idiotic, providing passers-by with more entertainment...

I guess I was just a bit shocked/surprised by the abuse, as until now, I've found that most car drivers here are actually pretty good about cyclists, barring the usual few idiots who just drive as if you aren't there, and the other idiots who think the cycle lane is a left hand turning lane, but you get those everywhere.

on the plus side, if that guy keeps getting so angry about nothing, he'll give himself a heart-attack before long, so that'll be one less w*nker on the roads.

Guest Nick11

It's his poor wife I feel sorry for. Pity you didn't get his rego.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gotta admit some cyclist do need there heads chewed off from time to time as some give a lot of other cyclist a bad name due to there lack of inconcieration of the road rules.

I have forgot how many times i have had to slam the brakes on because of a cyclist not stopping at junctions, iter-sections and traffic lights also riding in the middle of the road up in the hills holding up all the traffic, Not sticking to the cycle lanes the list go's on and on.

I always give cyclist at least 1 metre distance when passing them just like the law says to do but then you get some cyclist that still verbally abuse drivers because thay think 1 metre is not enough.

I can understand some drivers attitudes towards cyclist due to the bad inconsiderate cyclist giving the others cyclist a bad name.

Most of the cyclist i meet on the road are very good but then again just like this morning a cyclist shot through a redlight and i had to blow my horn at them and slam the brakes on to which the cyclist gave me a load of verbal and insisted that as he is on a bike and therefore i should give way to him.

Have you ever tried stopping 20 tonnes of artic bus at 60kph in a very short space without damaging passengers.

As i said i have nothing against cyclist but just like some drivers as well, a lot of them should learn the road rules and have a bit more understanding and consieration to other road users.

@cornishbusdriver: I completely agree, there are idiots on bikes too, car drivers don't have the monopoly on that, so many idiots on the road who should brush up on their road rules: cyclists who think they are invincible, cars who think they are cyclists, cyclists who think they are pedestrians, pedestrians stepping into the road without looking, the list goes on...

Incidentally, I have been very impressed with how most bus drivers here treat cyclists, so keep up the good work :)

Guest guest4504

Blimey, what will drivers think of the Sinclair C5 ! Yep, I have one.

Bet if you had been 6 foot tall with a beard and tattoos..he would have left you well alone.

Maybe that was the trigger for the comment about the new hairdo and dress:biglaugh:

On the serious side, I find that the balance of inconsiderate driving/cycling is about the same, here in the UK. I live near a stretch of road with a limit of 60mph. It has a dedicated cycle path seperate to the road. I have yet to see anyone cycle upon it other than children.

Worst of all are those cyclist's that insist on going two abreast on the road.

I can understand why a driver of a car could get frustrated in situations like these, or when a cyclist ignores red lights and carries on regardless.

But if you were following the rule of the road and complying with local traffic law then maybe the guy was just a dill.

You hadn't had a previous entaglement with him at all by any chance or was it completely random?

I was the said driver, and yes, your dress was awful. I assumed you were off to the hairdressers? If not, you should have been.

**yawn**

someone's bored, not got anything better to do with your time?