jo_marnes

Gas Bill?

Hey all,

Just got our quarterly winter gas bill and was dreading opening it! Our last gas bill (for hot water and heating only) was $96! This one was $320. Just wondering if others are paying a similar amount to power a large gas heater over winter? Just thinking about the future really and whether we'll end up getting a new system eventually.

Thanks!

Jo xxx

We have gas hot water and ducted gas heating. That's about what we pay, but the summer quarter bill is rarely under $100, usually up to $120.

That's heaps cheaper than what I used to pay in the US. If that's the norm wondering why I let hubs talk me into the combustion heater:/

Guest Nick11

Our electric bill is $ 750 and gas was $250 for winter!!!!!!!. 3 years ago it was 25% less. I can only think we have a pool and hot tub..which eats electricity!!!!!

Nick11 our electric bill was also $750!! Shocking! We don't have gas. There's only the 2 of us! We put it down to the electric heaters.

We don't have Gas,and we have just got our Electric Bill in,$845!!!Electric/ oil radiators are the culprits,house has been freezing this Winter.:arghh:

Hey all,

Just got our quarterly winter gas bill and was dreading opening it! Our last gas bill (for hot water and heating only) was $96! This one was $320. Just wondering if others are paying a similar amount to power a large gas heater over winter? Just thinking about the future really and whether we'll end up getting a new system eventually.

Thanks!

Jo xxx

Jo

That we got previously it was around $100 and now it gone up to $363 and that is just having the gas fire on in the main living area.

That just seems how much it is :sad:

Michelle

Guest Nick11

Moosh and sueoc...you have made me feel much better.

We have swopped from agl to simply energy who are supposed to be cheaper. I was beginning to think there was a problem with our meter!!!

I am dreading receiving our bills!

I have two properties on inverter heating and two on gas....I will post the bills when they arrive.

I have solar hot water but the sun has been absent! I also have tumble dryers!

Looks like it's jam on bread next month!

Tamara

we've just built and had our first electric bill dated to 4th august which was $263 ish.some was the builders so ok -day time usage-but we had only been living in the house since 11th july so called to question the the bill/get it explained. apparently only a peak meter is used unless you have an electric hot water system so all electric is charged at peak rate. SA don't really do on/off peak anymore?? even called the main power people as this sounded strange and that is what they confirmed. that may be why the bills are all large:sad:

I am with AGL.

I have just looked at my last bill and they have two rates for peak and off peak. Off peak is after 9 at night until 6 the next morning. I thought that the whole weekend was off peak?

I hope that it is as I try to do the heavy power usage tasks (dishwasher and dryer) in the off peak times.

I am with AGL.

I have just looked at my last bill and they have two rates for peak and off peak. Off peak is after 9 at night until 6 the next morning. I thought that the whole weekend was off peak?

I hope that it is as I try to do the heavy power usage tasks (dishwasher and dryer) in the off peak times.

that what i was doing. putting the washer and dryer on in the evening etc but was told that it didnt matter as we only have a peak meter?? in the rental we had peak and off peak but it was an electric water heater. i am with origin at the moment as thats what the builders set us up with but was looking to find a better deal but dont know if i can ... :unsure: will look into moving to AGL. was with TRU before and thought they were more expensive than origin but not sure after this bill as not even a full quarter.

That's interesting.

I had two houses with Aurora pre paid electricity but have just had them removed and switched over to AGL.

AGL are currently offering a 5% discount if you sign with them for a 2 year period.

BUT...I can't get it as I told them that I was going to put solar electricity feed back systems into the houses.

My bill is definately split between peak and off peak charges at the Old Reynella house but I am waiting for the electricity bills for the Port Noarlunga and Christies houses.

The off peak rate is half the peak rate.

It better be cheaper or it's back to hanging up the washing!!!

Guest cornish Busdriver

Bloody hell, electric bills of 700 and 800+ , dont you guys ever turn anything off.

We thought our last one was bad at 670 but that was when we had rellies staying for 1 month and also with the pool and the missus fish tanks.

You do know that leaving things on standby uses just as much electric as if they were turned on.

If it aint being used then its turned off at the plug in our house.

My last gas bill was $65 but the winter one this week was $320.Its the same each year. We have had a cold winter and had the heating on morning and night !

Guest nicandchris

I want to bring my wood burner from the UK to Oz which should come in handy by the sounds of it!!

Guest thehendrys

doesnt matter what power company your with, they all charge the same per Kwh, and its only going up in price, in fact double by 2015! nor does it matter running things on the 'óff peak' tariff, the only thing wired into the J-tariff is electric hot water, so your still paying peak electric running at night!

biggest power sappers are electric heaters, electric hot water systems, reverse-cycle aircon. plasma tv's, halogen downlights, tumble driers, spas, pool pumps and only an idiot would put in under-floor electric heating, I see bills over $1000 a quarter, mind you they do live in North Adelaide!! most stand-by items equate to about 10% of your power bill.

I put systems together that take care of the electric power bill and hot water by going solar! pm me if you want more details

Ross

Guest Lulujim

Eek! Just off to switch all the lights off and turn the heating down :shocked: