Guest STINKY FEET

McLaren Vale restaurant

Guest STINKY FEET

Hi,

I passed a newish place on the Main Road in McLaren Vale the other day. I didn't make a note of the name and can't find it in yellow pages or online. There was a cafe down the side and it says the name of various wineries on the cafe blinds.

I think it says it is a tapas place. Does anyone know the name please. I fancy trying it .

Thanks in advance

Clare

Guest Roo1

It could be El Torro its just opened so I doubt you would find it in the directory.

Its a Bar/Grill/Tapas and also has public access to Internet if you needed it.

Judi x

Guest katsmajic

I met with my old head chef from oscars today - he rates El Torro.

Its owned by the original (not current) owners of oscars.

We'll be trying it soon.

Guest STINKY FEET

Thanks for all the replies. I have booked for Father's Day lunch. Tel number is 83238038.

Will let you know how it was.

Thanks again Clare

reading between the lines there Kat, would you say Oscars is no longer as highly recommended as it was?

We went to the Barn the other day, after hearing so many good reviews. Food was very nice, but I have to say, the service was so shocking, it put me off returning. There were plenty of staff, indeed they kept looking at our table full of empty plates for about 15 minutes, maybe it is just me, but that is one of my pet hates :skeptical:

Will keep an eye on this new pace, looks good.

The Barn is having a few staffing problems. They are recruiting a new Head Chef too. Shame the service is going downhill. The Barn is one of our favourite restaurants.

Guest cbeeb

we stopped going to oscars a while ago as the service got really shocking waited over 1 hr for pizza early in the evening only stayed as my kids wanted too

Guest katsmajic

Oscars is a victim of its own success - theyve extended it etc as its so busy to capitalise on the business - but made no real improvements kitchen or kitchen staff wise.

Service has pretty much always been shocking in Oscars and most places tbh, the barn's service reputation is dire, vaserelli's too, its all down to the short service hours - owners/managers cramming in a massive amount of people in a short space of time.

My time at oscars was on many occaisions hell - 100 meals ordered in less than 15 mins and managers/waitresses screaming at you because customers are complaining about waiting more than 20mins for a meal.

Theres a 6 ring cooker, with oven, and a 900m grill plate in that kitchen and one massive walk in fridge that you have to run to for everything - no fridges/fresh things are in the kitchen area - the last place i did that volume of 'proper' food had 2x6ring cookers, 3x900mgril plates, a proper cold larder section, 5 small fridges and 1 massive walkin fridge....and double the amount of chefs....and we still got smashed.

Ive always said the food is fab at oscars (well it was when i was there) and the fact their so busy ALL the time says their reputation is growing and growing.

I must admit Kat, we never went there when you were cheffing. We've been to Vaserelli's and thought it was good but all the restaurants have a high turnover of head chef's.