got my car

Guest Denise 42

Guest Denise 42

Hi all thanks for your feedback on where to buy a car. I got mine from crissey beach right down the bottom just before the beach from a car yard the bloke who sold it to me was very nice called Bob, really nice people even went out with them and very happy with the car.

Guest dglamoore

Thats great news - every little step like that makes you feel more settled. Think that is one of the places we went too when I was looking for my car - very helpful and friendly bloke :cute:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Hi Denise,

Buying a car will be one of the first things on the agenda for us when we arrive just after Christmas.

What exactly do you have to provide documentation wise to purchase a car, and what 'extras' do you have to pay?

Also have you got your SA driving license yet? If so how did you go about obtaining it?

Cheers,

Paul.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

When you buy a car here(or house) you have to pay "stamp duty" on it. Rip off IMO!

It is worked out on % of the cost of the item.

You have to get rego for a car, (like road tax). That includes 3rd party body insurance. It important to know that this 3rd party body is just for human damage, not car. If you have a crash you will only be covered for the human damage, not either of the vehicles. So you must get extra cover from insurance company, It is not illeagal to drive without extra insurance.

As for licences, just take your UK one to the local car rego place and swap it over, they take you picture and your money and a week or so later they send it to you, oh yeah, you have to have proof of address.

Hope that helps

sarah

Guest addison

Can anyone give me an idea of what you would pay for a decent 2nd hand car. We currently have a Vauxhall Zafira (people carrier) and would ideally like something similar.

Over here, 3-4 years old model would be about the £5,000 mark (GBP)

Any info, greatly appreciated

Guest muppetbro

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/index.php

the site they dont want you to see - haggle like mad and you should be able to purchase at or close to the private sale value - i bullsheeshed like mad and grabbed a bargain - end of the day if you hit south road theres 5/6 garages all within 3 minutes drive so just threaten to walk away - have an idea of going rates - i was surprised at the condition of second hand cars here but i would steer clear of higher mileage cars - as in the uk huge depreciation on brand new motors and remember lots of big thirsty engines here - rego is very expensive and youd be crazy not to have fully comp insurance so running costs when earning $ albet are cheaper not as considerable as some make out......

im buying another next week and am ready armed for combat now my millions have earned millions in interest

keep that website hushed up though :policeman:

ciao

Just wanted to add, the reason we swapped our UK licence to a SA one is that our insurance company gave us a cheaper premium by doing so, worth considering.

Also we DID need proof of our no claims & I have now sorted it out but it was a nightmare getting the UK insurance company to email the Australian insurance company the information & I still have NOT received the original documentation.

Its possible not all insurance companies here ask for it, but ours did Budget.com.au

Angela