"Love it " Factor ??

Guest guest569

What gives the " I want this one !!" feel to a new home buyer ???  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What gives the " I want this one !!" feel to a new home buyer ???

Deffo get the agent to update the pics when landscaping is done and do something to soften the view of fences from the windows especially in the family room.

Agree needs blinds, curtains before tenants move in and somewhere to sit and BBQ outside.

Did you get a clothes line and aerial installed oh and a post box? Tenants will expect that too.

Also be prepared to pay installation charge for phone.

Otherwise it looks nice - good layout, nice kitchen and bathrooms. Also like the wood floors and nicer than average built in robes with mirrors.

Also get a foolproof irrigation (in ground) system fitted with a timer. Our rental has one that just does its stuff in the summer and the agent turns it off in the winter - tenants don't get a key to the control box - all they do is mow the grass - weed membranes and bark/pebble cover keeps the weeds at bay.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest guest569
Looks a little basic but you can never tell with pictures.

Definately not basic, but like you say the pictures may not do it justice as it was not quite finished. Just the plants and lawn to go in now.

First open tomorrow at 3pm. feel free to have a look and see the spec !!!!;)

Definately not basic, but like you say the pictures may not do it justice as it was not quite finished. Just the plants and lawn to go in now.

First open tomorrow at 3pm. feel free to have a look and see the spec !!!!;)

Would be good to see some pictures of garden as well as from pictures fence looks as if it up against the windows. As i say dont think pics do it full justice but do think its a lovely house. Good luck with the sale. Hope i didnt offend that wasnt my intention. I would have been be interested in having a look but dont arrive till Feb.:)

Guest guest569

don't worry you didn't offend :cute: I didn't realise you were still in the uk !! Its so different here. You choose the house type to suit the size of your land and so many people put too bigger house on the land and leave not enough garden. We left a meter path up the side as to fit the rain water tank and good access out of the laundry. this then gave us more room on the left for the entertaining area !! ( which is so important over here ;)) I have also allowed for two nice shrub beds for the gardener and 70m2 of lawn for the kids if a young family were buying.

Trying to build a spec for someone who you don't know their tastes was harder than i had imagined !!!!:biglaugh:

Guest guest569

Some external pics are now online now that the paving and turf is finished ( although they don't do it justice , bloody weather !!!).The side fence is down so i can retain in the morning and will be up again for sundays open !!!

A lot of hidden cost the show houses have a lot of upgrades in them so when you sit down and add them all up you could be looking at another $50-60,000 on top of the basic house and then you have the garden paths driveways stormwater drains etc to put in at your cost so can add up. Easy to build your own home here.

Seriously, I would never want a new build. Especially one that was done to rent out. That just means it will be cheaply finished and a b**ch to maintain (what with all that thin paint and thin walls!! etc)

Everyone is different and everyone wants different things, but I think just a realistic landlord makes a difference. Don't rent a home to people with small kids if you dont want to repaint all the time. Don't rent a home to busy working people if you want immaculate gardens etc etc. I think a grasp on reality is all tenants want xxx

Guest guest569
Seriously, I would never want a new build. Especially one that was done to rent out. That just means it will be cheaply finished and a b**ch to maintain (what with all that thin paint and thin walls!! etc)

Everyone is different and everyone wants different things, but I think just a realistic landlord makes a difference. Don't rent a home to people with small kids if you dont want to repaint all the time. Don't rent a home to busy working people if you want immaculate gardens etc etc. I think a grasp on reality is all tenants want xxx

I completely agree that it would be a bad idea to buy an ex rental. This house was never intended to be a rental. No expense has been spared on building this home in fact looking at the sums now and the house sale market it has been finished in i have well over spent !!! . If i had not spent $x on the door upgrades, spent $x on the upgraded tiling, spent $x on the upgraded built in robes, spent $x on the modern lighting, spent $x on the splashback and just tiled !!!!! If i had concreted instead of paving !!! If i had got evaporated aircon and gas heating instead of a Inverter system reverse cycle heating and cooling !!!! the house would be on the market in this climate at the same price !!!! If i knew back in Aug what i knew now i would have saved alot of money BUT ........ Its not all about the money and i can proudly say i have built a home and not a rental property !!! someone will hopefully benefit in the coming weeks of my hard work.

Just because a house has been rented doesn't mean it is all bad!

We built a house in Hahndorf which has been rented since new, but we built it for us when we finally get to Oz to live.

We installed double glazing, extra insulation (walls and ceiling) reverse cycle zone controlled aircon/heating, and other upgrades. Mainly the things that are best to do when building. Definitely helps with the bills both winter and summer our tenants have commented on this. In fact one who was renting whilst building has had DG installed after living in it - he had never even considered it before! Makes a difference up in the hills too.

We didn't go over the top on carpets and things that are easily replaced after tenants have gone and we move in though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest569

thanks Janice but as we have only had 4 open inspections i know its still early days.Renting is the last thing i want to do but at the moment the house is sitting empty and the mortgage is $500 a week . Will look at renting in a couple of weeks and then putting it on the market next year.If you love it that much keep in touch as next year it will have blinds and maybe a pergola !!!! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest569
Nice,probably needs blinds/ window furnishings to finish off??

Thanks Tyke, wish i'd listened to you sooner. Got nice verticle blinds going in on thurs !! If it doesn't help the sale they will be needed in the rental !!!

Two more open inspections and its upfor rent !!

• 4 weeks later...