UK Working Family Tax Credit

Guest lindagarrattley

Guest lindagarrattley

Hi All

I'm wondering whether any one has any experience or knowledge. I informed all Gov.t Agencies eg Child Benefit, Tax Credits, etc that I was leaving Uk and gave Australian address. They've now contacted me and state I received a considerable overpayment in 2004/05 and they want it all now. I've written to them and my UK MP but they are insistent I have to pay back sum now. They investigated this supposed over payment several years ago and cld never convince me that an over payment had occured and if it did how was I suposed to recognise it and report it. Eventually they dropped it and I heard no more. I don't mind paying it back so much but only at a reasonable rate and I resent it as I know it it there error. The most recent letter states they may be able to extend time to pay a little. At £10 per week it will take a long time to pay back and I can't really promise more. Does anyone have a similar experience or any knowledge of the legal position regarding repayment when I'm out of the country and living on a low income? Any advise will be gratefully received.

Guest WhatNow?
Hi All

I'm wondering whether any one has any experience or knowledge. I informed all Gov.t Agencies eg Child Benefit, Tax Credits, etc that I was leaving Uk and gave Australian address. They've now contacted me and state I received a considerable overpayment in 2004/05 and they want it all now. I've written to them and my UK MP but they are insistent I have to pay back sum now. They investigated this supposed over payment several years ago and cld never convince me that an over payment had occured and if it did how was I suposed to recognise it and report it. Eventually they dropped it and I heard no more. I don't mind paying it back so much but only at a reasonable rate and I resent it as I know it it there error. The most recent letter states they may be able to extend time to pay a little. At £10 per week it will take a long time to pay back and I can't really promise more. Does anyone have a similar experience or any knowledge of the legal position regarding repayment when I'm out of the country and living on a low income? Any advise will be gratefully received.

I had the same experience, having fulfilled all my obligations by telling them that I had left the country. They kindly reassessed me and carried on paying me till the next review. Eventally I gave up and ignored the letter, same with my sister - they gave up after one reminder (that sounds like the same standard letter you had). That was about 12 months ago and I have heard no more about it.

Guest guest569

I kept recieving family tax benefit for a year or two when we emigrated in 2005. They were even writing to me here in oz telling me what i was entitled to the following year !!! Eventually they clicked on and wrote to me saying they wanted all their money back !! Luckily as a good law abiding citizen i had never spent it and had left it in my UK bank account in case of emergency i made them sweat a while then wrote them a cheque for the full amount !!

"You get nothing for nothing in this life" my mum used to say !!!!