Sign in to follow this  
Guest robertreynolds

457 health insureance requirements

Guest robertreynolds

Could anyone tell me if a Medicare Card under the Reciprocal Aggreement with the UK is sufficient cover for the health requirements on a 457 visa please?

Guest mez10

When I started my 457 visa I was told that we had to get Health Cover, but when we arrive my company explained that due to the Reciprocal Agreement with the UK, Medicare Card was sufficient.

But they did recommended that I arrange Ambulance cover.

Guest robertreynolds

So the card doesnt cover ambulance? No problem, I think I may as well just take out some private health anyway..

As an aside, any idea how long a 457 takes to process? I see yours took 2 months, is that about average?

Guest nicandchris

Hi we went out on a working visa some years ago and just had the reciprocal agreement between the Oz and Uk with us. We did however get the mediare card straight away to carry with us . We travelled from WA to Queensland with a car and tent on a minimal budget and my OH (then) got dumped by a wave and broke his leg! The medicare covered all his medical care including some outpatient appointments and a crutch without any problem at all.

I hope this helps

Guest robertreynolds

Thanks, Ive got the MC Card, Im just wondering if its sufficient with regards to the Condition 8501 for the 457, which from the previous post it looks like it might be.

Guest nicandchris

Sorry ignore my above post as i didnt read your post properly! the company that im being sponsored for requests that we take our private medical cover and it is possible to get basic cover for around $17 a week which is quite cheap and less than i expected. I think another person has suggested 'imans' for good insurance

Guest mez10

I know some that only took 6weeks and we have friends in Sydney that got theirs sorted in 3weeks. It all depends how fast the Company/Agent push the paperwork through.