Tradies jobs

garyandelaine

Hi all ,

Looking for advice on how to go about getting work (im a carpenter 20 yrs exp ) in adelaide . If work gets tight here i would go through my contacts ( subys etc) and usually get something that way. A lot of jobs on seek and carreer one etc ask for cv,s when applying. is this the norm ? or is it better to just turn up on site.

Any contacts of any chippies would be appreciated (arriving dec)

cheers Gary

hi gary..firstly i for one think you are in the right trade to come here..it is quite hard to secure work here when your still in the u.k..they do tend to deal with you better if your on oz soil..as for cv..yes this is very important here,someone on here did say that there is no such thing as a oz cv if it's a good cv,but this is really not the case,to be successful you will need to have an oz cv,this will convert your qualifications so that the person doing the employing will understand the career path you have lead,i know a lady here(not a friend) who does this for around $200 well worth it..hard copy's and pdf disc..comes to you at your home ,oz blokes in your trade are like hens teeth to find..they not as hard working as the poms..they work smarter not harder!!alot in your trade tend to do repairs on rentals steady work..pays the bills etc..but if you got sense you will work for a few companies find your feet then set up in business...a friend of mine has over $50,000 cash to renovate her house and could not get carpenters/builders to do the work for love nor money..alas she is using my mate who is a carpenter by trade (oz bloke)but so steady she pulling her hair out...kitchen and bathroom reno's here around $20,000+(expensive to say the least) she had loads of quotes all around the same price but no offers to do the job..but if your coming in december..be prepared for slow start as well as xmas it will be holiday season so money will be short for alot of people..but be cheeky daft get a cv sorted, print loads and hand them in personally at business's alot of jobs here are not even advertised..but keep at it you will succeed..also be very adaptable ...rules and regs can change like the wind here depending who your talking to..well good luck mate..hope this has been a little help.

hi gary..firstly i for one think you are in the right trade to come here..it is quite hard to secure work here when your still in the u.k..they do tend to deal with you better if your on oz soil..as for cv..yes this is very important here,someone on here did say that there is no such thing as a oz cv if it's a good cv,but this is really not the case,to be successful you will need to have an oz cv,this will convert your qualifications so that the person doing the employing will understand the career path you have lead,i know a lady here(not a friend) who does this for around $200 well worth it..hard copy's and pdf disc..comes to you at your home ,oz blokes in your trade are like hens teeth to find..they not as hard working as the poms..they work smarter not harder!!alot in your trade tend to do repairs on rentals steady work..pays the bills etc..but if you got sense you will work for a few companies find your feet then set up in business...a friend of mine has over $50,000 cash to renovate her house and could not get carpenters/builders to do the work for love nor money..alas she is using my mate who is a carpenter by trade (oz bloke)but so steady she pulling her hair out...kitchen and bathroom reno's here around $20,000+(expensive to say the least) she had loads of quotes all around the same price but no offers to do the job..but if your coming in december..be prepared for slow start as well as xmas it will be holiday season so money will be short for alot of people..but be cheeky daft get a cv sorted, print loads and hand them in personally at business's alot of jobs here are not even advertised..but keep at it you will succeed..also be very adaptable ...rules and regs can change like the wind here depending who your talking to..well good luck mate..hope this has been a little help.

Hi me123, thanks for your positive advice , i will be doing what you said about the cvs and hopefully this will work , I wont be looking till after xmas so hopefully there will be plenty out there then , Thanks again Gary... Oh, could you tell us who does the oz cvs.

i will send you her details in a pm,by the way i forgot to mention "tickets",this will hinder your progress massively if you dont have the correct tickets for certain jobs within your trade...i'm not sure what they are for you but i can ask my friend (aussie carpenter) what they are and i will let you know...these tickets are attached to every trade no matter what it is and they dont tell you this when you are applying for visa's ,it can be a cold shock to a tradie,they can be very expensive to obtain so best get your foot in the door of a big company who would be willing to help you get the right tickets...regards me123