Guest Nicky&Andy

dollars

Guest Nicky&Andy

please could anyone tell me if the amount of dollars you bring with you is limited to a certain amount and is this amount per person or per family

i heard it was $10,000 max is this correct

thanks in advance

nicky

See

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/GuideForTravellers.pdf

this says

Currency

There is no limit to the amount of currency you

can bring in or out of Australia. However, you

must declare amounts of A$10,000 or more in

Australian currency or foreign equivalent. If asked

by a Customs and Border Protection officer you

must also fill in a Bearer Negotiable Instruments

(BNI) form if you’re carrying promissory notes,

travellers cheques, personal cheques, money

orders or postal orders.

I would guess that the limit is per person (over 18).

Why would you want to carry tens of thousands in cash though? Simply do a bank transfer. If you try and pay that much folding into a bank they will need proof of where it came from for money laundering/tax evasion reasons anyway.

You can open an account in Oz before you go with lots of banks.

Guest WhatNow?
    please could anyone tell me if the amount of dollars you bring with you is limited to a certain amount and is this amount per person or per family

i heard it was $10,000 max is this correct

thanks in advance

nicky

Are you getting confused between what you can carry in 'on your person' and what you can transfer via the Internet?

I wouldn't recommend you carry a large amount of cash on such a long journey - wouldn't want to have it stolen or see you on a future edition of Border Security!

You can transfer large amounts via your bank or companies like HiFX or MoneyCorp. Banks have had a bad press in the past for overcharging on this type of transaction but they are getting much better.

If you are with Barclays in the UK they have a partnership with Westpac here and HSBC have a branch in Adelaide. Most Australian banks will now let you open an account before you arrive - they just hang on to cards etc until you go in in person.

There are two potential costs associated with transferring money - it is never 'free' despite what you may be told. There is a one off transfer fee (which may be zero, depending on the organisation and the amount you are transferring) and there is the difference between the general rate (as on the internet) for example Currency Converter, Currencies News | Reuters.com

and the actual rate you will be quoted (usually a few cents less). This is where the organisation makes its money.

As rates move up and down by the minute, any quote you get is usually only valid for that moment in time so it is difficult to compare between organisations. Tricky eh?

I was lucky in that my bank told me (I think it was a mistake) that for the amount I was transferring they would give me Reuters rate less 15 cents so I was able to work out (by watching the rates) a good time to activate the transfer, but not everyone is so anal/stingy/determined to pay as little as possible!

So it comes down to how much work you are prepared to do to get a good deal or whether you prefer not to know and trust the bank/institution to just get on with it for you - and that is a personal decision that only you can make.

Hope I haven't made it even more confusing!

Guest Nicky&Andy

thanks for you replies, our money is now transfered, piece of mind, just double checking every thing before we fly

nicky