Guest irish mike

Moving to Adelaide

Guest irish mike

Hi everyone, my name is mike and i am moving to adelaide with my wife and 8 month old son. I am orginally from ireland and my wife is orginally from thailand, we have both lived on an island called Jersey south of england for 20 years, although we only met 6 years ago.

We are looking forward to arriving, i have a job secured as we are on 457 visa, we would appreciate any feedback with regards which suburb would be good for my wife and son to intergrate into family life easily.

We are due to arrive middle of Nov 2010, look forward to hearing and possibly meeting some of you when we get there, bye for now,

Best Regards,

Mike

:biglaugh:

Only you can really answer the question of where you want to live mate....you have to ask yourself some question or make bit of a check list along the lines of what important from where you want to live.

Schools

Shops

Beaches

Public Transport

Hospitals

Proximity to city

Proximity to work

New suburb

Old Suburb

Make yourself a big list and rank the wants in order say 1 thru to 5 and then you may get some ideas of where you wanna be.

And then just ask and ask on here a wealth of info on here.

I hope this helps in some way....

HG

Depends on where you are to be working where you would live I take you do not want it to take an hour to get to work every day.What do you like beach or hills

If you already have a job, that's a great starting point. Where will you be based? There's a few people around from Jersey over here, and even more from Ireland!

Depend what you are after the city is split up a bit and you will find a mix of nationality's all over you seem to have the South of the city beach suburbs with quite a few British, Western suburbs more Asian North East suburbs Italians Northern suburbs British East suburbs has a mixture. You will find most places has about 75-80% Australian population

Guest irish mike

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I will be based in Burton north adelaide, so we are looking at areas such as golden grove, prospect, walkerville, enfield, grange.

I am eager for my wife not to become isolated, travelling doesn't bother me that much.

I will be working in the water industry.

School isnt an issue at the mo as our boy is only 8 months old.

Hope everyone has a good weekend:biglaugh:

Guest WhatNow?

Suggest you do a Googlemaps Streetview walkaround of some of the streets in those areas and see what the properties are like. You will see quite a variation from Walkerville (old, very posh and leafy streets, expensive) and Enfield (old, quite industrial and IMO tatty), Golden Grove (large estates, new houses, will feel more like parts of the UK), Prospect (old, busy, quite expensive for nice properties but gentrified, nice away from the main roads), Grange (seasidey, pleasant, quite pricey for a nice house). All will give you easy access to Burton via own transport. Also worth looking at Mawson Lakes if you like new properties and a community feel.