Cost of Living in Adelaide - advice please

Guest snowy10

I'm trying to get an idea of monthly costs so that if we were lucky enough to emigrate to Adelaide and fortunate to be able to afford to buy a house outright how much money I would have to earn each month to live on. I can then start researching property/areas and jobs.

To give me a little idea would anyone mind posting the rough cost of the following items per month for a 3/4 bedroom property. If not could you just give me a rough total for your regular monthly expendatures.

Running 2 cars

Gas,Electric,Water (+ any other household regulars)

Food (2 adults 1 child)

School fees

Many thanks in advance.

Guest nikki & john

Hi

Sorry I can't help with school fees but can try to give you a very rough idea on the rest, it does depend on various things like the size of cars and how you are going to pay your insurance premiums on the cars i.e. monthly or yearly and how much you eat, but for us we spend for 2 people between $160 and $200 a week on shopping. We both have small cars so our petrol is about $90 a week for both of us to fill our tanks up but for a bigger car would probably cost about $65 to fill up a tank. Insurance for both cars for us is just over $800 a year, rego depends how long you buy it for but a rough example is that 12 months for a car with 4 cylinders is just under $700. We don't have gas so unfortunately can't help with that but our electric bill for the last quarter was about $650. Water isn't expensive, the water supply charge is $40 a quarter and depends how much you use but it isn't expensive. Our home phone and internet package I think is just over $100 a month and if you have mobiles you can have them on a plan ranging from $29 a month upwards. Hope this helps. Nikki

Thanks for the quick replies to my question.

I have been in the RAF for 23 years and will have a pension come December that is worth around £12,000 (= $21,000 @ 1.7 to £) before any tax so what I'm trying to get my head around is: would this cover the majority of your normal expenses? Would ANY job cover the remainder of the cost of living?

Thanks again.

Guest kangomik

12K PA?

the current rate may be closer to 1.6, but on the bright side it can go to 3, giving you 36K PA Aussie.

Shelf stacking in the local supermarket pays 20 bux an hour, if your mortgage free i doubt you would need more.................... but it depends on your life style and what NEW things you would like to do once arrived

12K PA?

the current rate may be closer to 1.6, but on the bright side it can go to 3, giving you 36K PA Aussie.

Shelf stacking in the local supermarket pays 20 bux an hour, if your mortgage free i doubt you would need more.................... but it depends on your life style and what NEW things you would like to do once arrived

Yes, it's £12K per annum, obviously this would be taxed in the UK or Australia as I can not move the pension it has to stay being paid in to a UK bank account so can be very reliant on the exchange rate.

I obviously would like a job in my trade as an aircraft technician but was wanting to get a feel for how far the pension would stretch if we managed to buy a house mortgage free.

We have no expensive hobbies and would be bringing all our belongings with us so that will minimise the initial "set up" costs. The interest on our money from our house sale would probably cover the rent whilst we were looking for a property to buy but I was thinking that I would have to find a job before spending our capital on a house when we loose the interest on that lump sum.