Hazel M

Which bank (current account)is best in your opinion....

Hi,

Just looking at opening an Australian bank account while we are still here, to have it ready and waiting when we arrive. :)

Basically I just want what would be considered a normal current account here. (Preferably an account that you don't have to pay monthly to have ... I hope there is one - don't agree with paying them for the priviledge of handling your money!!)

Also one that comes with a debit card (not sure if that counts as cheque, savings or credit!)

And I suppose one with a few ATMs dotted about!! And any other info worth knowing is appreciated too

Thank you

Hazel.

we opened accounts with commonwealth bank before we left the uk as it was the easiest one. have changed since we arrived though. You do get a credit/debit card and they have plenty of cashpoints. one thing i have found is that you must use your card in the cashpoint for your bank otherwise you get charged, not like banking with one in the uk and using the first cashpoint you come accross. I think Bank SA have an account which you don't have to pay for.hope this helps, rach

Hi Hazel

We opened an account with the commonwealth bank they have a branch in London where we transferred all our cash into.Once we arrived in adelaide just went to the the city branch to activate the new oz account and they just transferred our money from uk to oz account there and then.We got debit cards on the that day then sorted credit cards later.It was real easy and the rate was pretty good as well.Although that was three years ago not so good at the moment.Hope this helps a little and good look.

Ron,al,leah,aaron

Guest UzinOz

We opened a Westpac account from the UK and just had to show passport when we arrived, they also have a branch in London. Westpac also have an account that providing you pay in over $2000 monthly (wages or something) then you don't pay a fee for the account, you can also use Bank SA ATM's as well as Westapcs to avoid fees there.

Hope this helps!

Jackie

Guest Trakki

We use the Commonwealth bank, went into the Noarlunga branch when we got here and opened it straight away (never got around to doing it from the UK) they have been really helpful, can't fault them at all.

Hi

We use ANZ opened it from the UK then just showed passports to activate when we arrived. we dont pay monthly fees and have cash point efpos card, we also have a credit card with them and home loan, their online banking is good as you can see all your accounts together, had no problems with them at all.

Good luck with everything

Kim

We opened with weatpac while still in the uk..

We were told on our arrival here that we had to go to a 'certain' Branch in the city to validate our account with passportss etc..

The branch was located next to central market/china town..only the staff in there couldnt speak english!!

The accounts are now based in that branch, which doesnt really matter, however on speaking to staff in Glenelg & Hallett cove, they said we could have gone into any westpac branch to validate the account... It was just an extra journey we could have done without..

Had no problems with westpac & have mortgage with them, which was arranged over the phone.. staff were really helpful. I Think you do need to have $2k monthly through the account to avoid charges, but I just transfer savings back & forth online to look like i have that amount going through the account.