suzer

Certificates of compliance for electrical and..?

Question for the tradies out there....Just wondering what types of work you are required to have certificates of compliance for? Is it just electrical, or plumbing as well?

Guest kerfumph
    and if they don't give you one....?

*Kerfumph smirks* or is it smerks?

Guest tooeasy

all electrical work requires a coc if you dont get one and you come to sell the house or anything goes wrong you and the person that did it are liable for prosecution and your house insurance will be void if they find out

Guest Chandan
    all electrical work requires a coc if you dont get one and you come to sell the house or anything goes wrong you and the person that did it are liable for prosecution and your house insurance will be void if they find out

does that include if you get your plugs on your applicances changed over from UK to AUS plugs? Does it void your insurance if said plug happened to cause a fire etc? my dad can change a plug easily , but if it needs to be above board I will then get a certificated sparky..

hope you get well soon!

Danni

so how long has this been in effect?

Guest tooeasy
    so how long has this been in effect?

it has always been in effect since the licences were in

Guest Guest5035

but if something did go wrong, just play dumb and you know nothing about work being done.

stevo

Guest tooeasy
    but if something did go wrong, just play dumb and you know nothing about work being done.

stevo

but they do say ignorance is no defence so not sue how you would go with that one and they would ask who did the work too

Interesting - thanks heaps for that info. From what I read, it looks like both installer and home owner must keep these certificates for 5 years from the date the work was done. My hubs is an Aussie no worries mate type and I prefer to stick to the rules on these types of things, just in case...so wondering what the rules actually were;)

stevo

Since I used to work in insurance, and we've lived in our home (well at least the other half has) 15 yrs, I reckon that wouldn't be a safe bet in the case anything did go wrong. Then again I am a yank used to anyone and everyone watching their backs all the time...

The only thing is if you get a job done for cash, on the side ,mates rates etc ,The tradie probably would not give you a COC so there is no paper trail to follow.

Just found out this is incorrect. Looks like it's based on an act (there were tv ads many years ago advising of this coming into law) - perhaps one from 1995 or 96...still checking....

edited to add: found it...Electricity Act of 1996:

http://technicalregulator.sa.gov.au/office_of_the_technical_regulator/electricity/working_safely_with_electricity/electrical_certificate_of_compliance

It's interesting how the laws can be so different. In the US, I did my own electrical work sometimes.

Guest kangomik

But you in Oz now

I guess you drove on the other side of the road also!