Diane

Really interesting thread on PIO that all parents should read..

Guest WhatNow?

Surprised no-one else has so far responded to your post Diane. I wonder if that means that no-one has bothered to read the PIO thread. If that's the case I would recommend they do - it's not easy reading but a real eye opener. Rather puts some of the squabbling that goes on into perspective....

We all come here with high hopes and expectations and no-one wants to think of things going wrong, but if we bring our children here then what we as parents want in the event of a marital breakdown comes second to what the law says is good for our children - whether we like it or not....

Guest Guest5035
    Not waded my way through all of the pages yet, but there is a really good thread on PIO that all parents thinking of emigrating should read and think about:

Children - what happens if you/your partner decide to go home..... - PomsInOz Forum

Back to my reading of the 14 pages....

So Di, after reading the pages you are alot clearer now, which one of you is going back??????

Stevo

Guest Guest5035
    Surprised no-one else has so far responded to your post Diane..

Everyone is happy aren't they, or are they scared.....I know of someone who went back with one of the kids, the other one was old enough to make their own decision. when i was in the UK a few weeks ago, popped in to say hi, they are loving it back there, hubby still in Adelaide.

stevo

Stevo

So Di, after reading the pages you are alot clearer now, which one of you is going back??????

Stevo

LOL Stevo, we've always said if we split up there'd be a fight over who gets to keep the kids .... "You can have them"...."No, you have to have them"....

Joking aside though, it is a serious issue that many people perhaps don't think about. I think there was even something on one of those terrible Today Tonight type programs recently about a family who had come over on the husband's job being sponsored, then they split up so the wife had to go back to the UK and the husband wouldn't let her take the kids with her....

Guest Guest5035
    .... "You can have them"...."No, you have to have them"....

QUOTE]

theres now lots of people thinking the same......

stevo

It's not only relevant to the UK, if you have settled in South Australia and one partner wants to move interstate and take the kids the same thing can happen. I have mentioned this before on this and site and Adbrits.

Also consider guardianship if something happens to both parents. Your children will become wards of the State if there are no guardianship provisions made in a current, valid will. They will not be automatically shipped back to the UK to next of kin.

Good thread. First time I ever flew, was to Australia 10 yrs ago. On our way back (I thought i'd got over my fear by then) the plane was unexpectedly diverted to Darwin, no reason given, quite unsettling. Then we were left on the tarmac and not even taxied to the terminal. People (with more knowledge than me, thank the Lord) were starting to wonder, apparently, if it was a bomb scare or something terrible, because of the distance from the terminal. Eventually we were told the plane was stopped and diverted because someone was taking their children out of the country (perhaps in similar circs). They weren't able to say anything till the passengers had been removed, because of the security risk of them knowing in the air.

Boy that was scary. Shortly after that, we went through an airpocket. Now I KNOW I hate flying. :)