sunnyside

Personal effects by air freight - how to clear?

We have only couple of hundred kilos to be sent to Adelaide so we opted for air freight as we are getting a very good rate. Much cheaper than the quote we got for sea freight.

I am now wondering how do we clear them from Adeliade airport / customs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mari

The shipping company you are using should be able to tell you that. I'd think customs forms and all that will need to be filled in so you may be doing a fair bit of form filling. Depending on the company they may well have an employee who goes and gets it cleared at customs and so on. I'd think then they pay any excess and you get billed or pay it back on delivery.

IIRC there is an exemption made when you emigrate but no idea on how much etc.

Sorry I can't help more. I'd go back and ask your shipping company (or failing that, contact the airport customs in Oz and enquire as to the process/forms etc for you moving over so as to have the correct info as I am sure they will steer you right and better to get it correct from them and save yourself a hassle)

Hopefully someone else will happen along with more info for you :)

Guest Matey

Don't forget that you'll need to clear quarantine (AQIS) as well as customs. Ask your shippers what they need you to do before they'll release your stuff because it does seems to vary between different companies how much they do and how much you have to do yourself.

Most people seem to have to get documentation from the shippers and then take it to Customs (in Port Adelaide) and AQIS (next to the Airport) to complete the paperwork and pay for the inspections. Be prepared to move quickly as the shippers like to start charging storage fees if you don't collect within a few days.

Customs and AQIS are both pretty easy to deal with. There's parking at the offices and you don't usually have to wait too long to be seen. The last person I collected for wasn't told that she had to organise her own quarantine inspection until we got to the warehouse to get the boxes, but AQIS made the effort to squeeze her in the same day so she could avoid the storage fees

Good luck

Guest guest3462

Hi, we have some shipping back in the UK, I am interested to know which air freight company you are using please? Thanks Julia