Ideas needed for Christmas Gifts for those back home!

jo_marnes

Hi all,

I NEED IDEAS! We want to post presents back home for various relatives but as we are going back in April, we are only going to send little things and then spend when we are there :biglaugh:

They must meet the following criteria:

1. Lightweight!!
  2. Inexpensive
  3. Must inspire thoughts of Australia

We have already sent home touristy stuff last year - daft tea towels, chocs, t-shirts etc. We have used Tesco, M&S, Thorntons and Sanza to deliver for birthdays etc. Would like to do something different for the people who don't really need/ want anything in particular. So far, all I have is a tree decoration - a pair of thongs, hahaha :biglaugh:

Help greatly appreciated,

Jo xx

You could post some aussie seeds home (England doesn't have the same restrictions as Australia has I don't think but not 100% sure...) If you go up to Mount Lofty they have some lovely packets in the shop there - Sturts Desert Pea etc. Alternatively send everyone books written about Australia or set in Australia (the "Tomorrow When the War Began" series is good for older teenagers and you could ask in your local library for recommendations for other genres) - Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository is great then (or Amazon for the UK as well - Amazon actually may be better as Book Depo doesn't currently offer option of putting a message with the gift) Barbecue cook books for any that might not read fiction...

Guest katsmajic

We got some Xmas dec's last year from the key cutting guy at Seaford shops, he engraved them for us for free too...makes a pretty cool gift.

We also made up folder/scrapbook's

1 - for mil as she had been, with pics of her visit and progress pics since she left...school pics etc

2 - for the family that havnt been but are planning on coming we did a scrapbook of all the bits for them to do when they get here and with pics of the kids etc

Guest ben&sharon
Alternatively send everyone books written about Australia or set in Australia ...

The book thing is a great idea. If you've any young kids to send gifts for, then Possum and Wattle (My Big Book of Australian Words) is just lovely - and gorgeously illustrated. I sent about half a dozen of them back last Christmas and they loved them....

Big W had some cute felt koala tree decorations for about $2 they had a kangaroo but he looked a bit spaced out!!!! They could go inside the christmas cards. Cheers Annie

Just a quickie... If anyone does want to send a nice book of photos back to the UK. If you log on to Aldi (that cheap food store in UK) web site. You can upload photos on to a leather bound book and design it any way you want and get it delivered to an address in the UK. It's a really good service. Good quality pics too.

If you've already done pics how about a cool DVD.

Big W had some cute felt koala tree decorations for about $2 they had a kangaroo but he looked a bit spaced out!!!! They could go inside the christmas cards. Cheers Annie

Tee Hee I agree with you Anne the kangaroo tree dec's look like the had far too many drugs! The koala's a lovely and as you say very light and flat to put into Christmas cards. I also got some thong tree dec's as well to send back as that is something you don't see in the UK.

If you have young children to send gifts to, I've just bought the Aussie Christmas Activity Packs (again from Big W) which includes a colouring book and activity pad with lots of Aussie themed pics. It is quite light and would fit into a standard A4 envelope.

Hope this helps

Katie

Guest The Dimmocks
I also got some thong tree dec's as well to send back as that is something you don't see in the UK.

Katie

Where did you get the thong dec's from? Had a look Big W, Target and K-Mart today but couldn't see any.

Thanks Michelle

Where did you get the thong dec's from? Had a look Big W, Target and K-Mart today but couldn't see any.

Thanks Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I got them from Big W in Golden Grove but they must be popular as I got the last one on the shelf. If I see anymore there I will let you know.

Katie

Guest The Dimmocks

Just brought a huge chocolate coin from coles for $3, it got kangaroos as the design. Just put it in the fridge to keep until I send it (wonder how long it will be before I have to buy another one :biglaugh:)

Guest Woody and Jane

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a kangaroo scrotum pouch. We saw them for sale in the shop at Gorge Wildlife Park. They looked ideal to keep your loose change in and came in two convenient sizes.

Australian Koala Foundation - All Koala gift shop products

How about sponsoring a koala (pretty expensive though) or perhaps buy something awesome to support their work. They deliver direct to the UK too.

Their tees are pretty good :)

:wubclub:

LC

Good God, Lazy Cow. How are you...oops sorry for hijacking the thread.