to sell before or after??

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

We keep seeing people who's house sale fell through after there visa arrived therefore having to cancel flights, has anyone sold there house before final clearance or is this just a little to ambtious :? cant seem to work out at what stage is the biggest stummbling block any idea's

cheers gra and jac

Guest dglamoore

Have seen people put their house on the market at all sorts of different stages - after skills assessment, sponsorship, putiing application in, getting CO etc

I think a lot depends on how attached you are to your house and if you are happy to rent for a while if you manage to sell quickly or if you would rather wait til its 'safe' and take a chance that the market will be good for you.

We sold our house last year and in the middle of the process decided to migrate rather than move in the uk so went into rented and left the money in the bank.

Lisa :D

Guest donna T

A subject dear to my heart at the moment!

We sold privately in October, 2 months before we got our visas and 5 weeks before we were due to fly - their buyer pulled out :evil:

We are now inthe position of remarketing our house with only 3 weeks to go - but have had an offer so not all is bad.

I think it depends on how saleable your house is and how mych bottle you've got :D

Good luck whatever you decide

Donna

Hi

We decided to put our house on the market as soon as we passed the vetasses skill assesment (like TRA). We sold in November and moved into rented in January.

We just felt that the housing market is slow and that it can take ages to sell a house, we didnt want to be in a position where we had our visa and couldnt get to oz because we couldnt sell our house.

The other reason we had to sell our house before hand was because we have to pay a £40k bond for our extra 5 points - so we need some money from our house sale.

......its a roller coaster ride whatever you decide!!

sarahx

Guest ladybird

Just a quick question once you get your visa how long do u have before you have to go to oz?? As this might make a difference to how soon you want your house to sell.

My understanding of the SIR495 visa is that once you get it & validate it ie enter Australia for the 1st time, the 3 years start from that entry date. But like Lisa said you do have 1yr from the meds/pc's or sponsorship which-ever was 1st :)

Its tricky, for us we currently have 3 families with houses up for sale, we are not marketing ours with an EA as all 3 have offered me the full valuation 'verbally' that is..........still don't feel that I can agree to anything until I actually get the visa 8) I am a bit like that though, forever the optimist 8)

We are expecting the visa by March, hopefully, so fingers crossed one of our potential buyers will have had an offer on theirs to start the chain off - if not we will have to make a call about marketing with an EA or hold on a bit longer - will cross that bridge if we have to nearer the time :)

Good luck with whatever you decide

Angela

Hi every one.

I have passed TRA and applied for the visa. The thing i would like to know if possible, what are the chances of the visa being refused at the last min. Me and my family have no police records, as far as we know all are in great shape ,and easily complete the points needed.

I know there are no guarantees but wonder what the pass rate is. We would idealy like to put our house on the market before the visa arrives. We don`t mind renting for a while but love our house and do not want to lose it only to fail.

Paula & Adrian

Guest dglamoore
Hi every one.

I have passed TRA and applied for the visa. The thing i would like to know if possible, what are the chances of the visa being refused at the last min. Me and my family have no police records, as far as we know all are in great shape ,and easily complete the points needed.

I know there are no guarantees but wonder what the pass rate is. We would idealy like to put our house on the market before the visa arrives. We don`t mind renting for a while but love our house and do not want to lose it only to fail.

Paula & Adrian

I have ever only seen two people get refused for a visa at the last hurdle - one was on medical grounds and the other had not worked the points out correctly for the visa they applied for but did apply for another visa catagory which they then got in the end.

We asked our agent if they had ever had a visa application fail at the last stage (we are at the paranoid stage :lol: :lol: ) and they only had one which had lied about a past conviction which then showed up.

I am sure you will be fine :D

Lisa

We were told that as long as you pass all the requirements

i.e skills, medical and police checks and the points they have to give you the visa.

When the case officer(s) ask you for meds and police checks it is a provisional yes. (thats what my agent told me.)

Lea

Guest The Ashtons

Hi graandjac, we couldnt wait. Thinking it might take a while we put our house on the market not long after our first application went in. Typicaly we had an offer straight away and was too good to turn down so have been living in rented 4 nearly a year. at first it was a pain thinking of rent money going to landlords and not being able to save but our rent is about the same as our mortgage was and i supose once in Oz (end of March) we will be able to rent no problem having gone through the experiance

Good luck on what ever you decide

Cheers The Ashtons.

• 3 months later...
Guest Leigh and Nick

Hi Chris and Sarah

Just noticed you had to pay a bond. I think we are having to do the same thing. Do you need to have that money available before you apply for visa or is it to be given when you go to Oz. If before then we will have to sell up aswell.

Hi Leigh & Nick

No, didnt need the money when we applied for the visa - they requested it after we had our medicals and just before they issue the visas...............I think that when they do request it, you have a while before you HAVE to give it to them - but bear in mind that they dont issue the visa until they have it...........

That is another reason why we put our house on market virtually straight away - so we knew we'd have the money ready for when they asked for it.

sarahx

Guest The Bowmans

Hi there

We sold our house (fingers crossed) after we had passed our meds/pcs and submitted theem. We are about 3 months into the 495 process so hopefully about half way. We wanted to move from our present house/area anyway so it made sense for us to do it asap. I want to have the money in the bank when the visas come through so that we have the freedom to go in our own time.

Everyone is different so I suppose you just need to go with what feels right for you.

Good luck.

Deena:)