suzer

Cost of running a tumble dryer?

I have a small tumble dryer that I don't use much but am about to upgrade. Curious if I should be considering it an occasional/winter luxury to use the dryer or if it doesn't really use much electricity (it'd be about a 2 star rating). I really really miss big huge vented tumble dryers and am tired of hanging so much laundry but don't want to kill my energy bill.

I don't my dryer for actually drying clothes, only as an airer. They always go on the line first, or on a rack under the verandah if it is raining. That way I keep the size of my bill within good limits.

If I put wet clothes into the dryer, I could see my electricity bill soaring.

Clothes dryer electricity costs are on this page: http://www.sustainability.vic.gov.au/resources/documents/operating_costs_of_electrical_appliances.pdf

It is Victorian, but will give you some idea.

BTW great link! Even if the costs are from VIC they can't be hugely different. I am no longer going to deny myself the use of a dryer:)

Guest guest3462

My dryer is an essential tool in the wet months hence why mine has died! Our electricity bills have been surprisingly low this winter even with daily dryer use and heating so go for it!!