Bevev's

Nurse registration

Hi,

Has anyone applied for their nurse registration since July 2010? I'm not sure which way to do this: whether to apply for visa or sort out nursing/assessment registration first. Be grateful for some guidence please.

Thanks a lot

Bev

Guest nicandchris

Hi the agency that im working with has told me to sort out the nursing registration (at least get the application in) before applying for the visa. However this is in relation to the 457 temp business visa.

Nic

Guest Django

I have answered your other thread but will copy and paste it here too.....

Ok Register as a nurse with the NBSA (Nursing Board of South Australia) to do this go to http://www.nursesboard.sa.gov.au/ where you will find what info you need to send them.

Once you are registered you then only need to do the modified skill assessment not the full monty. Send your skill assessment off to ANMC (Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council) http://www.anmc.org.au/docs/Internat...20original.pdf

You can just do the skill assessment without first registering but would then have to do the full assessment http://www.anmc.org.au/docs/Internat...07original.pdf

This is the process http://www.anmc.org.au/docs/Internat...20Purposes.pdf

You don't need to be registered to be skill assessed or to apply for the visa but it does save money and time on the skill assessment front. Hope this makes sense and helps. Any probs let me know.

Pete

Guest guest3462

Def do your nursing registration first it will save you a heap of time and money and will enable you to start work as soon as you get here. If you do it the other way around you run the risk of having to wait months (up to 12) as you will have to do the full skills assessment. As Django said, if you do your NBSA rego first you only have to do a partial skills assessment at a fraction of the cost and time.

Guest Ianlizzy

Good luck to any nurse registering in Oz ya gonna need it!

My wife sent her first nursing registration application to Victoria on the 5thof Feb 2010, eight months down the line she was asked to filled out a new application form out!

And now once more we wait again,

So if i was you i would apply as soon as and hopefully you will get your registration some time in 2012?

It really depends on what visa you are going to apply for. If you are going on a 176 then you will need your skills assessed by the ANMC first and this will mean doing the IELTS english language test. For registration, AHPRA are now doing this for nearly all states except WA, so NBSA does not exist anymore. As this is new and only implemented in July 2010, there have been loads of problems with this, not just for overseas nurses but also domestic nurses renewing their registration. You don't need the IELTS for registration if your training was done in the UK.

All in all, it's not a quick process and requires time in getting all your documents together eg your transcript for training, which your Nursing college will need to provide, at a cost, and at your request.

Patience will be your greatest friend in the whole process! All the best! There are lots of good threads on Poms in Oz too, about this.

OMG that's awful. They say 3 months!! Did she use an agent or do it herself. I'm about to do it myself, so i hope it'll be a bit more successful than your experience!!

Guest nicandchris

i got a second email back from ahpra this week contradicting the first stating that uk nurses DO need ielts for aussie nursing registration. Nightmare for all involved sd AHPRA dont seem to have a clue themselves.

nic

Guest Ianlizzy
    It really depends on what visa you are going to apply for. If you are going on a 176 then you will need your skills assessed by the ANMC first and this will mean doing the IELTS english language test. For registration, AHPRA are now doing this for nearly all states except WA, so NBSA does not exist anymore. As this is new and only implemented in July 2010, there have been loads of problems with this, not just for overseas nurses but also domestic nurses renewing their registration. You don't need the IELTS for registration if your training was done in the UK.

All in all, it's not a quick process and requires time in getting all your documents together eg your transcript for training, which your Nursing college will need to provide, at a cost, and at your request.

Patience will be your greatest friend in the whole process! All the best! There are lots of good threads on Poms in Oz too, about this.

Thanks for the reply's i will check out poms in OZ, my wife got hers IELTS last November, but it took her until feb to get all the transcript ect and then we applied.

The confusing thing for me is, both of us have good qualifications and both us have had job offers since Jan yet we wait and wait and the most frustrating bit of all is they is no communication from them?

The one bit of advise i would give nurses registering (so you don't waste your money like us) is send your registration in then a week or so later ask your current registration board to send there letter of good standing, because we did it at the time, but if they have not processed your registration when they get your letter of good standing they just destroy your letter of standing wasting £50 and more time lost!

Guest nicandchris

thanks ianlizzy thats good advice! Im just trying to sort out my nursing regisration now and its a nightmare just trying to get thorough to the correct person at the University to get the transcript whilst the NMC are pretty straight forward.Ps When you get your documents verified by the Magistrate etc do they have to also sign the transcript?