Guest foxesonthemove

Carpenter - licencing

Guest foxesonthemove

I am being told that in order to find work as a carpenter in Adelaide I will need to obtain a Building worker scontractor licence which will involve taking an 11 week course called the Timber framing code and then a further 2 courses in business subjects. (MBASA). I would then be eligible to apply for my licence with the OCBA.

I have been told a white card alone would not be enough because nearly all carpentry work is on a sub-contract basis.

Would I still be able to work whilst I was completing the course as 3 months off work isn't in the plan.

Finding it very confusing at the minute. This is the last piece in the puzzle before we can apply for state sponsorship!:goofy:

Terry

hi terry

you can work for someone without a licence,$28-$35 ph.when you get it you can then work direct for the builders.they give you the price and your away.cheers mark

Guest foxesonthemove

Thank Mark that's cleared things up, we can now finish off our state sponsorship and get the process moving again!

Terry

You will still need your white card but thats only a day course. If you do want to work for yourself you will need to do a couple of courses including the timber framing code one and business and legal course which you can do over 2 weekends and a test at home to do. You can also do it at night school over about 10 weeks one night a week . You should be able to pick a job no probs depends what you want to do.

Guest hughescl
    I am being told that in order to find work as a carpenter in Adelaide I will need to obtain a Building worker scontractor licence which will involve taking an 11 week course called the Timber framing code and then a further 2 courses in business subjects. (MBASA). I would then be eligible to apply for my licence with the OCBA.

I have been told a white card alone would not be enough because nearly all carpentry work is on a sub-contract basis.

Would I still be able to work whilst I was completing the course as 3 months off work isn't in the plan.

Finding it very confusing at the minute. This is the last piece in the puzzle before we can apply for state sponsorship!:goofy:

Terry

You can apply for your SS without this we did, I would not mention that you are looking at self employment as our agent said they prefer migrants to be employed to fill the skills gap. Claire

Guest foxesonthemove

Thanks guys, that's made things alot clearer. I'm sure we'll be back on here with more questions!!