Guest botanica

Confusions!!!!!

Guest botanica

Dear Friends,Moderators,

Is a person bearing a State sponsorship provisional visa holder a temporary visitor? Well, it says Temporary resident leading to Permanent resident status.What is the difference between a temporary resident and a visitor?

Will the children of Temporary resident enjoy free of cost enrolment in the public schools?

Please help me to understand better.

Guest botanica

Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry

you can only complete this application if you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor who is actually in Australia. You must also be either:

a working holiday-maker

a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival

an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work

a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely

a person with a business visa.

Please check here Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry

To apply, see Permanent migrants or temporary visitors – Apply online.

Guest botanica

Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry

you can only complete this application if you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor who is actually in Australia. You must also be either:

a working holiday-maker

a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival

an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work

a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely

a person with a business visa.

Please check here Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry

To apply, see Permanent migrants or temporary visitors – Apply online.

A permanent resident is someone who holds a PR visa, and can stay in Australia indefinitely. Permanent residents have full entitlement to medicare, benifits, schooling etc.

A temporary resident is someone who has migrated to australia to live, but only holds a temporary visa (e.g. a 457 long stay business visa). Temporary residents pay tax in australia, but are not entitled to any benefits such as medicare/schooling etc.

Visitors are resident outside of australia and are only coming to australia for holiday or short business trips.

There are grey areas though, for example someone on the temporary spouse visa 820 is entitled to full medicare, as the application for the permanent visa is included in the original application, just won't be processed for two years. Not sure if there are other visas that fall into this loophole.

Guest botanica
    A permanent resident is someone who holds a PR visa, and can stay in Australia indefinitely. Permanent residents have full entitlement to medicare, benifits, schooling etc.

A temporary resident is someone who has migrated to australia to live, but only holds a temporary visa (e.g. a 457 long stay business visa). Temporary residents pay tax in australia, but are not entitled to any benefits such as medicare/schooling etc.

Visitors are resident outside of australia and are only coming to australia for holiday or short business trips.

There are grey areas though, for example someone on the temporary spouse visa 820 is entitled to full medicare, as the application for the permanent visa is included in the original application, just won't be processed for two years. Not sure if there are other visas that fall into this loophole.

So,

Now I am very afraid afterall. The road is tough, uphill it seems. I am very afraid about my childs schooling. How much would it cost in public schools?Please could you tell more about the TR Visa holdre and the schooling?

Guest sundropstar

I had a SIR495 visa, my passport states 'temporary resident subclass 495'.

I paid the same as everyone else for public school fees ie. around $300 per year for primary school. We also had reciprocal health cover which meant we had a temporary medicare card, i think it stated 'visitor' but it covered us for bulk bill doctors appointments, eye tests and medically necessary treatment.

The only time I can a bit of a cropper was when I looked into studying, I would have had to pay international student fees, so I just waited. I was actually able to study at an adult education college for the regular fees as long as the course did not end with an official accreditation. So I studied word, excel, myob etc so I could update my skills for work.

The only other thing is some jobs won't be available to you as a temporary resident. I work in a bank now and they were fine with the SIR 495 visa.

My visa stated that i was 'resident for tax purposes' and when I applied for my TFN (a while ago now) I beleive I called the tax office to confirm that. Not being resident for tax purposes means you will have to pay a much highter rate of tax.

I did not have access to any benefits, paid full OSH, did not get any child benefit or whatever it is over here, but we knew that before we came and budgeted to take all of that into account.

Hope that helps with your query. Temporary Visas are a bit of a grey area and sometimes I had to check and check again for the right information.

The reason I know the eye tests are free is because I paid for mine, I was told I wasn't eligible as when the optician called medicare they declined the cover. A few weeks later my husband had an eye test and we offered to pay, as you do, and the optician he saw advised us that she was also on the same visa as us and she did not have to pay for eye tests, you just have to take the form to medicare to get your refund. So, as I said, check and check again.

Good luck.

Guest botanica
    I had a SIR495 visa, my passport states 'temporary resident subclass 495'.

I paid the same as everyone else for public school fees ie. around $300 per year for primary school. We also had reciprocal health cover which meant we had a temporary medicare card, i think it stated 'visitor' but it covered us for bulk bill doctors appointments, eye tests and medically necessary treatment.

The only time I can a bit of a cropper was when I looked into studying, I would have had to pay international student fees, so I just waited. I was actually able to study at an adult education college for the regular fees as long as the course did not end with an official accreditation. So I studied word, excel, myob etc so I could update my skills for work.

The only other thing is some jobs won't be available to you as a temporary resident. I work in a bank now and they were fine with the SIR 495 visa.

My visa stated that i was 'resident for tax purposes' and when I applied for my TFN (a while ago now) I beleive I called the tax office to confirm that. Not being resident for tax purposes means you will have to pay a much highter rate of tax.

I did not have access to any benefits, paid full OSH, did not get any child benefit or whatever it is over here, but we knew that before we came and budgeted to take all of that into account.

Hope that helps with your query. Temporary Visas are a bit of a grey area and sometimes I had to check and check again for the right information.

The reason I know the eye tests are free is because I paid for mine, I was told I wasn't eligible as when the optician called medicare they declined the cover. A few weeks later my husband had an eye test and we offered to pay, as you do, and the optician he saw advised us that she was also on the same visa as us and she did not have to pay for eye tests, you just have to take the form to medicare to get your refund. So, as I said, check and check again.

Good luck.

A bunch of Daffodil Thanks to you.

Once again, I think it should be OK if you have a job.How much is required to look after an infant, a kid and of course my wife? What about the jobs? I know its tough.Do we need to present printed CVs.?

Thanks.