Diane

Reduce, reuse, recycle...

My reason to smile this morning?

Ordered a hard waste collection today from our local council (some councils just do an annual/bi-annual collection in an area, ours you have to book a date in just for you) and OH spent hours last night piling up loads of old stuff, including our old oven which we've replaced, loads of cardboard, and various other bits and pieces. He was doing it in the dark as we nearly forgot the date had come round.

This morning, by 7:30am when he left on his bike, all the metal bits, including the oven (weighs an absolute ton!) had disappeared from the pile, and we'd gained an occasional table!!

We're not exactly on a main thoroughfare, so in those brief hours of darkness, who can it have been!?

Of course I don't mind, one man's rubbish and all that, but it did make me smile. I even accused OH of forgetting to put the oven out there, but he assures me he did!

Reduce, re-use and recycle - truly the Adelaide motto!!!

Guest Woody and Jane

I've seen a bloke in a ute/truck type thing driving around the streets of Largs Bay/North in the wee small hours of the morning collecting all the old white goods that have been left outside people's houses. I guess there's money to be made out of things that can be fixed.

We've got a hard refuse collection booked for later this month, after booking a month in advance I might add. They must be very busy. What made me chuckle a week after I booked it was that our next door but one neighbour had all their hard refuse collected. Woud it not have made sense just to do ours on the same day and save themselves another trip?

Woody.

know the feeling...

recently we put an old bed outside.... metal, damaged, unusable!! Went shopping for an hour and was gone when cam back!

2 days later old 2 seater out side..... some one stool the cushions and left the rest!!

Our neighbour put several old tv's, dvd player and a running machine outside...... hour later gone!!

We don't live on a main road, its cannot be seen from main road...and is a dead end!!

Dan

our hard rubbish was reduced to 1/3 of the original amount in one day. The kids enjoyed watching out the window to see people testing office chairs etc and loading stuff up into their cars to take away.

In our council area you have to book about six weeks in advance - I reckon someone in the council tips off a local "man with a van" so he knows where to cruise around the night before!

Its a common thing to happen in many countries in Europe. I know when I lived in Amsterdam the monthly collection for that sort of stuff meant the streets in the area were busy with people carting stuff off on bikes, in the backs of cars and so on. Its accepted and quite normal to see. Glad to hear Aussies do the same :D

Someone I know got all their kitchen cupboards replaced this way after finding their neighbour was having his kitchen refitted and had thrown the old stuff out for collection. Was still in good knick so we carted it all off and it was great after a coat of paint.

Guest Woody and Jane

Just put our rubbish out and while I was getting the last box of crap from the garage a little van pulled up and an old fella started helping himself to everything metal.

We had a nice chat, apparently he used to work with one of the previous owners of our house. It's such a small town but I like it!

It's great isn't it? As someone that hates to throw anything away, I love the thought that someone else can use it! A friend of ours in Sydney (who is as rich as Croeseus (sp?)) loves hard waste days as he goes round collecting all the thrown away bicycles, takes them all apart and makes good-as-new ones from the components! (Not sure what he does with them after that though - probably sells them for a fortune somewhere, which is probably why he's rich...and I'm not!)

I agree it's nice if someone can get some use out of things we don't need. I hate it tho when they don't like what they picked up and return it.....after the pick up has occurred and then you have to cart it back in and book it again! annoying wot!

Guest garlic--bread
    It's great isn't it? As someone that hates to throw anything away, I love the thought that someone else can use it! A friend of ours in Sydney (who is as rich as Croeseus (sp?)) loves hard waste days as he goes round collecting all the thrown away bicycles, takes them all apart and makes good-as-new ones from the components! (Not sure what he does with them after that though - probably sells them for a fortune somewhere, which is probably why he's rich...and I'm not!)

Like they say Diane, one mans trash is another mans treasure...I'm the same, don't like to throw anything, would rather someone make use of it. Find myself looking at other peoples rubbish though to see if I can do something with it, lol (think the term is a skip rat he he) :)