Guest Andrea&Andrew

SA state sponsorship, do you have to live and work there

Guest Andrea&Andrew

Hi

Does anyone know the answer to this.

We have recently been granted the SIR495 visa, being sponsored by SA.

According to our agent, being sponsored by a state is not legally binding, therefore we can live and work in any 'regional' area so long as we let SA know where we are going to and also let the new state know that we are coming there.

Maybe another migration agent knows the answer.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Andrea :)

Hi Andrea (Great name, it's my daughters as well!)

I may be wrong, others might know a bit more, but I thought that if you were sponsored by the state it meant that you had to reside and work in that state for a period of 2 years and after this time then you can move elsewhere and notify the state of your move and the new state that you are going to.

It will be interesting to find out, but you are paying your agent for this information, so I would presume that what they are saying would be true.

Keep us posted.

Guest louiesmum

Hi

i have to say we are not using an agent but that was my understanding that once you were sponsered by a state that you were required to stay there for 2 years, but as said before you are paying the agent for all the up to date info, so it would be interesting to find out as we have also been sponsered by SA, but saying that after such a big move I don't think I would be ready for another move for a little while.

Good luck

Michele, Neil, Louie & Finley

Guest russell 12

Hiya

I am being sponsored too but on a 457, i too thought i was required to stay for 2 years . Kinda seems right i guess when you consider what they have to pay to get us over.

See ya

louise:)

Guest dglamoore

We were told by our agent that you must stay in the state that sponsered you for 2 years. If in this time you wish to move you must inform the state why you are moving and provide good reason or problems could arise when you go for PR :cute: Have seen others do it when they have really struggled to work so can be done but not just as easy as booking a flight and moving.

I would be surprised if this has changed to live anywhere (although stranger things have happened :unsure:) as what would be the point of getting the individual states to continue sponsering migrants?

Lisa:cute:

Guest dglamoore

It seems you do have to live in SA for 2 years still if sponsered by the state. It is out lined in the 'commitment to living and working in the state of south australia for at least 2 years on arrival' section on page 2 of the sponsership criteria - http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/pdfs/gsm/02.SponsorshipCriteria.pdf

More info here too - http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/skilled_visa_gsm.php

Hope this helps you out a bit

Lisa:wubclub:

Guest Andrea&Andrew

If you wish to move you must inform the state why you are moving and provide a good reason for example if you are struggling to find work and then you must also inform the state you are wanting to go to.

Apparently, according to our agent, the above applies, but it is still a moral rather than a legal binding to live and work in SA. I suppose it would not look good if you were sponsored by SA and then as soon as you got there, moved to another state.

Therefore we will still go to SA if our reccie goes well :jiggy:

Andrea :v_SPIN: