Guest browny_oh

Hello, landing 10th Nov

Guest browny_oh

My first time in posting so forgive me if i have put it in the wrong place.

Getting very excited/nervous now, had our farewell party last night - was fine until father in law made a speech - he is now officially off the Christmas card list lol.

We land on 10th Nov, have 2 weeks to find a long term let (no pressure!) and Hubby starts his job end of Nov. Any tips on areas / state primary schools (have a 6yr old) would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at Henley Beach South, Norwood, Marden, North Adelaide - the list goes on and i now dont have a clue! Hubby has a job smack bang in the centre so need to have good links in as we will not have a car for a few months and i am a bit of a city bird so would like to be able to get to the shops easily with a 3 yr old in tow.

Can anyone clarify please what yr my son will go into in Jan 2011? He is now 6, 7 on 31st Jan. At the mo he has just finish his 1st term of yr2 but i can get my head around the Oz system.

Cor blimey think thats all - for now.

Thanks

Nicole, Neil, Lewis and Finaly

Guest shella_n

Hi and Welcome.

My daughter was 6 at the end of July she is in Reception at school (if she was in UK she would be in Yr 2) in January she will go into Year 1. Im not 100% sure but I think he may go into Year 1 or may just make it into Year 2 - im sure someone here will have a defiante answer for you.

We have also got a 3 year old and unfortuantely they cant start pre-school here until they are 4 - which has been a bit of a nightmare.

All the places you have mentioned are nice although I cant comment on the schools. - the school situation has bene the worst for me it was so hard tryingt o figure out which schools were "good". We tried to secure a rental around Henley Beach/ Fulham but it was a nightmare - so much competition. We only had 3 weeks to secure a rental so totally understand your pressure and anxiety. Please feel free to contact me anytime and I'll be more than happy to help with any queries that you might have or if you wanna meet up for a chat when you get here

We are up in Mawson Lakes - came here cause of close proximity to husbands job - but we are considering moving south to be nearer the beach - but weve made such great friends here its hard to decide what to do.

Good luck to you.

Michelle

If you're going to be car-less for a while, maybe think about being somewhere near the creek (sorry I should say the mighty river Torrens) there is a cycle route all the way along it, from the beach to the city to the hills, makes for a lovely (and safe) bike commute to work (most offices in the city will have shower facilities - essential in the summer months), and no need to worry about parking once you do have a car. Most of the closer suburbs have very regular buses into the city (no more than 15min wait during the day). Another option would be somewhere along the tramline from glenelg to the city, that way you can also get to a beach easily. Sorry can't comment on schools as haven't quite reached the stage of needing to think about those yet...

We are in the North East suburbs ............ we have great bus links to the City....very quick and convenient for getting there for work, shopping and nights out! Only not very near to the Beach - about a 25 min drive ......so not too bad!!!! We have 4 children....... the eldest works in the City and has no probs getting into work for a 7.30am start.....and our eldest teenager is also working in the City part time......and again has great transport links!

Areas you could consider are Dernancourt, Highbury, Hope Valley, St Agnes, Modbury Heights, Banksia Park, Redwood Park, ........ sounds like a lot but they are all pretty close to one another!

Hope this helps :)

Guest Janine3979

Hiya,

Good Luck on your move, we've been here 4 months and it's tough to get about without a car so definatley check out transport, there is a good train service to the city so anywhere near a train station is a good idea.

The suburbs you should be looking at depend on your budget, I would suggest looking at realestate.com.au and arrange some viewings over the phone before you set off as you've only got 2 weeks to get a long term let.

If you need anything let us know no matter how cheeky it sounds.

He should go into year 2, but will be one of the younger ones in the class. He may go into a mixed year1 / year2 class if the school has them.

My daughter was 7 at the end of December and went into year 2 at the start of the school year in January.

Guest Hams

Hi Neil and Nicole,

We are landing Nov 27th, I hope your trip goes smoothly.

I have enquired at a few schools and put my son and daughters name down at one in Glenelg (although they are currently full!). My son is 6 and he's 7 on Feb 6th and they have told me that he will start in year 2 in January 2011.

Hope that helps,

see you out there.... maybe we can get the men to babysit while we go out for a drink.

Laura

Guest Django

I would wait until you get here to see places for yourself. We had ideas where we wanted to live and ideas where we didn't. We live in an area that wasn't on any list. Why? Because having seen the suburbs for ourselves we found that Woodcroft suited us best. The magic word is 'us'.

Some people will prefer other places and advise you to move there. Just because its suits them and they are happy with the schools and the location it doesn't mean it'll be right for you.

Make sure you have a hire car ready for you and take yourself on a tour. Cover as many locations as you can and think about the sort of things you do/like. See what is on offer in each place and make a considered decission on your findings. Of course ask people what facilities are about in certain places but don't let them sway you. Put down roots where you think is best.

I'm not trying to patronise, its just a reminder as the obvious can sometimes be over looked in the excitement of it all when there are so many things to do after landing.

Pete

Guest browny_oh

Hire Car booked for the airport when we arrive, planning on sleep then whistlestop tour of Adelaide suburbs and maybe the beach :)

hi Laura,my husband and myself land 3rd of december.having our first month in glenelg too until we can get a long term rental.we are staying on a caravan park should be a fun christmas.sharon[39]mick{44**

Guest colette
    My first time in posting so forgive me if i have put it in the wrong place.

Getting very excited/nervous now, had our farewell party last night - was fine until father in law made a speech - he is now officially off the Christmas card list lol.

We land on 10th Nov, have 2 weeks to find a long term let (no pressure!) and Hubby starts his job end of Nov. Any tips on areas / state primary schools (have a 6yr old) would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at Henley Beach South, Norwood, Marden, North Adelaide - the list goes on and i now dont have a clue! Hubby has a job smack bang in the centre so need to have good links in as we will not have a car for a few months and i am a bit of a city bird so would like to be able to get to the shops easily with a 3 yr old in tow.

Can anyone clarify please what yr my son will go into in Jan 2011? He is now 6, 7 on 31st Jan. At the mo he has just finish his 1st term of yr2 but i can get my head around the Oz system.

Cor blimey think thats all - for now.

Thanks

Nicole, Neil, Lewis and Finaly

We live in St Georges which is lovely and not too far from Norwood. We are a ten minute drive from the centre. Linden Park School is apparently a great primary school and there is a very good Kindie,so our neighbours tell us. It is a fairly expensive area to buy but there are lots of rentals. Hope all goes well for you. I am sure your kids will love it and after 6 months you will have forgotten the stress involved. Cheers Colette