Guest lee godsell

need to find work

Guest lee godsell

Hi everyone, i need a little help.

I am moveing to Adelaide early next year, i am a plumber and passed my vetasses.

Is there much work around at the moment? Also i dont have a clue where to live i suppose i need to go where the work is it all seems a bit daunting to me at the moment.

Lee.

Hi Lee,

Congratulations!

There's loads of plumbing work. The real money is working for yourself. This involves getting a business licence and registration and means doing the finance and law components of the small business management course.

Where to live is a personal choice. Best to hire a car from day one and drive around to see what areas you like. You wouldn't go wrong staying in the scenic south! Have a look on google at pics of Hallett Cove, Port Noarlunga, Christies beach, Seaford etc. If you need to know about suburbs just post a thread and ask for opinions.

Tamara

Guest lee godsell

Hi Tamara,

Thankyou for your reply, I have looked on the net for work but there dosent seem to be many jobs on there and the ones i have sent email dont even bother to reply.

Lee,

When you get here you will have to go to OCBA in the city to get a licence to work under supervision of a plumbing contractor.

They will not give you a licence until you have been to Regency TAFE to see Paul Hebard.

He will give you a letter to take back to OCBA and they will give you a Under Supervision Licence.

This will allow you to start working FOR a plumbing business.

As part of the deal you will have to complete the Migrants Plumbing course at the TAFE.

This course is split into different parts like drainage....sanitary...gas....and many more.

Each of the courses costs about $800 but you can claim some of this back.

I had to wait about 9 months to start the course some have waited longer.

Once you have completed the course....(no one can tell you how long the course will take!)

You can then start to do the next level,

I know some people who are doing this and have been doing it for a couple of years.

So don't expect to work for yourself for at least 5 years.

There are plenty of jobs though, I've had about 5, I kept moving until I found one to suit!

If you want any more info send me a private message with your email on it and we can have a chat in more detail.

Hope to speak soon.

Rob

Hi Lee,

It can be a real problem getting a response when you are in the UK. It's difficult enough getting a response when you are here sometimes as well!

Maybe you can get some feedback from people on here. I have had builders, plumbers, carpenters, tilers etc stay with me and I reckon that their experiences (and possible contacts) will be invaluable. Some of them still put posts on here so I hope they share some info with you.

Some tradespeople have gone to local building sites and secured work that way. There appears to be more work / jobs than just the one that you would look out for on carreone and other job web sites. My advice would be to secure work with a local plumbing company...get used to the different ways of doing things, the different materials etc, with a plan to maybe work for yourself or with a partner in the future as your earnings would be far greater.

Have you looked at the Jims web site?

That's a franchise and there's quite an outlay but Jims Plumbing is well established and they forward work to you in your franchise area. I guess it also has the advantage of limiting your travel as you get all the Jims work that comes into the area that you purchase.

just a thought!

The Jims web details are Jims Group

Hope that this helps.

Tamara

Guest Mike123

Hi all, this is my first time post on your forum.

Hi Rob

Do you know why licencing its so different from state to state, we came over in 2007 for 12months (had to come back to uk) and went to Cairns Qld, I applied for and got a provisional plumbing licence by email from the UK, all I had to do was email the licence board when we got to Oz and they sent me it. I cant belive its so complicated in SA.

We are heading back to Oz in May this year and are hoping to settle in Adelaide.

Guest kfoley0681

you will probably find all states have tightened up as when we arrived qld would not even give my husband an under supervision licence anymore!! sa is ruomered to be one of the easist states to get a licence and yes its not a quick easy process! you are definatly not allowed to work for your self or have afranchise until you have done the full courses to allow you to run your own business which can take between 2-5 years. probably going to find you cant buy jims franchises anymore as they have been brought out by 1 guy! there are many big companies to work for jims and metropolitain (owned by 1 guy) probably the biggist, but theres also maesbury,huindmarsh,smith brothers, pap,precise,plumb fast and heaps more! alot of plumbing companies dont adverise externally if they do its on seek.com.au, but when you arrive here send cvs to as many companies as you can as the big ones are always looking for staff!