Roberts Family

Adelaide to Melbourne drive

Has anyone got any recommendations for places to stop for a break from driving en route to Melbourne. We will be travelling via Horsham as this is supposed to be the most direct route. We have a 4 year old girl who will need toilet breaks! Any ideas for good places to eat would be welcomed, too! Thank you!

The first Bordertown (3hrs drive from Adelaide) petrol station (on the left as you approach from adelaide) does pretty good hot food, we always stop there on our way to the grampians/arapiles. (the usual burgers, schnitzels, etc, but with fresh lettuce/tomato/salads, unlike some other places I've stopped at in the past)

If you have time, the Grampians (about 2hrs from bordertown) have lots of scenic short walks, there's some in the Northern grampians (google "hollow mountain" for a fun little scramble with great views, there's always plenty of smiling kids running around up there, great place to spend an hour or two) and I've heard there's lots around Halls Gap also, though not made it that far myself yet. The road cuts back up to rejoin the main road from Halls Gap, so this shouldn't add stupid amounts of driving time to the trip.

(You probably already know this, but just in case... Make sure you watch for roos from dusk onwards, especially away from the main highway, they have a tendency to run out in front of you with no warning, keep your wits about you.)

Guest SA Great

Agree with Rock Dr the Grampians are great and there are a couple of eating places in Halls Gap. Horsham route is defo the shortest but coming back via the great ocean road and up along the coorong via robe and beachport is far more interesting. Also check out the Giant Koala near Horsham on the main road....its soooo bad its funny!!! Happy Travels!

Yup, we are doing the drive begining of Dec. I have done this drive several times on my own for work, but this will be first time with family. Bordertown is a must stop. Then Horsham for a stop, and then probably Ballarat. Hopefully then straight through to Melbourne from here.

There's a Roadhouse I think just past Tailem Bend called The Coolabah Tree which is a good toilet/snack stop - does lovely hot roast pork rolls too!

Guest WhatNow?

And I wouldn't try to get to Hall's Gap if you are in a hurry to get to Melbourne and are going the direct rather than the scenic route. The road is steep, narrow and windy and it will take you quite a while. Lovely scenery if you have the time for it and loads of wallabies, roos and emus. Horsham - Halls Gap I'd say at least an hour and probably 1.5. and then you have to come back to the highway. Wartook is the furthest I would go in that direction - the road is still flat at that point and there are good waterfall walks and a cafe/restaurant/filling station (but little else). Halls Gap is a beautiful weekend camping/stopover place and you can continue south onto the Ocean Road to Melbourne if you want, but it's a very long diversion and will add another day at least to your journey.

Guest whitfan

My wife and I always leave pretty early, stop at the Coolibah tree for hot brekkie and continue on (whether we are headed to Melbourne or the Mount). After that we stopped for a toilet break in Kaniva but this will be played by ear. We stopped for lunch in Ballarat. The ride over the West Gate bridge is quite cool, but don't get caught without an e-pass/ticket.

Oh and there's a "Jeep on a stick" in Keith, on the right hand side towards the end of the township...

Re: the grampians, the Northern Grampians (with Hollow mountain) are only 20min off the main highway (have done this trip on a regular basis), so could be worth it if the four year old is getting fed up with car and you want a longer stop (round trip including the walk would probably be about 2-2.5hrs). Like I said, I've not actually been as far as Halls Gap, so don't know what the road's like further south.

Guest Tina
    My wife and I always leave pretty early, stop at the Coolibah tree for hot brekkie and continue on (whether we are headed to Melbourne or the Mount). After that we stopped for a toilet break in Kaniva but this will be played by ear. We stopped for lunch in Ballarat. The ride over the West Gate bridge is quite cool, but don't get caught without an e-pass/ticket.

can i ask how you get an e-pass ticket for the west gate bridge as i will be going over this soon...

Guest whitfan

You only need the pass if you inbtend to use the tunnel south of the CBD (once you are over the bridge) to connect with the Monash Fwy. You can either a ring a number and give them credit card details, or I think you can buy the passes at Shell Servo's.

Guest WhatNow?

I agree, Kaniva is a nice little stopover too, done that many times - cafe and tourist information by the waterwheel - on the left as you go towards Melbourne just as you enter the town on a small traffic island.

:notworthy:Thank you so much for all your suggestions, I think we will have a list of the places you suggest with us and stop off as and when we feel we need to/ whether our munchkin is asleep or not! Thanks again to you all.

Guest WhatNow?

Forgot to say - Tourist Info centres have booklet you can pick up for free which has maps and articles about the GOR. Lots of useful info in it.