The McDermotts are now in Adelaide

Guest tpgc03

Hi all,

Well, after what seemed like a never ending saga we have finally arrived in Adelaide via Sydney. We arrived on Sunday evening and met Dennis (SA meet and greet) at the Airport. We have to say what a bloody nice fella! and we certainly recommend booking the service for when you arrive. He drove us through the rain :( to our short term let, booked through Tamara (thanks ever so much for your help) and we have settled in v nicely at the Riverview Cottage in Port Noarlunga. We have to say the weather is surprisingly cold compared to Sydney! however, the area is wonderful and is everything that we remembered from our reccie last year.

Our first evening ended in us all collapsing early into bed and woke yesterday with a busy day ahead of us! We drove into the city and sorted our Tax ref number out, then over to Medicare and visited NAB to confirm our identity and open our bank account. Driving back we headed into Port Noarlunga Shopping centre and visited Coles for our first grocery shop :) By that time we were all shattered so we had a quick bite to eat and again fell into bed. We have to say that this migrating lark is more tiring than we could ever have imagined!

Off to sort our driving license today and get our 100 point ID (we didn't realise that this is imperative so that we can secure things such as a long term rental with a Landlord, thanks for the useful info Shaun!)

Booked in to see Aldinga Primary and Mclaren Vale early next week for our son Finlay (10) and we are off to have a look round Aldinga Kindy (Butterworth road) this after for our daughter Sian (4)

Oh forgot to mention, house hunting in between everything else, pheww, Centrelink tomorrow, the jobs are coming thick and fast and we guess that it will be like this for over the next few weeks!! We wouldn't change a thing!!

Thanks to Tamara and Shaun for making us feel so welcome and helping us get Skype up and running :)

Anyway off now to crack on with getting through the list, will update you on our progress. Oh BTW would love to come to the first Sunday meet up this month, where and what time?

The McDermotts

Guest botanica
Hi all,

Well, after what seemed like a never ending saga we have finally arrived in Adelaide via Sydney. We arrived on Sunday evening and met Dennis (SA meet and greet) at the Airport. We have to say what a bloody nice fella! and we certainly recommend booking the service for when you arrive. He drove us through the rain :( to our short term let, booked through Tamara (thanks ever so much for your help) and we have settled in v nicely at the Riverview Cottage in Port Noarlunga. We have to say the weather is surprisingly cold compared to Sydney! however, the area is wonderful and is everything that we remembered from our reccie last year.

Our first evening ended in us all collapsing early into bed and woke yesterday with a busy day ahead of us! We drove into the city and sorted our Tax ref number out, then over to Medicare and visited NAB to confirm our identity and open our bank account. Driving back we headed into Port Noarlunga Shopping centre and visited Coles for our first grocery shop :) By that time we were all shattered so we had a quick bite to eat and again fell into bed. We have to say that this migrating lark is more tiring than we could ever have imagined!

Off to sort our driving license today and get our 100 point ID (we didn't realise that this is imperative so that we can secure things such as a long term rental with a Landlord, thanks for the useful info Shaun!)

Booked in to see Aldinga Primary and Mclaren Vale early next week for our son Finlay (10) and we are off to have a look round Aldinga Kindy (Butterworth road) this after for our daughter Sian (4)

Oh forgot to mention, house hunting in between everything else, pheww, Centrelink tomorrow, the jobs are coming thick and fast and we guess that it will be like this for over the next few weeks!! We wouldn't change a thing!!

Thanks to Tamara and Shaun for making us feel so welcome and helping us get Skype up and running :)

Anyway off now to crack on with getting through the list, will update you on our progress. Oh BTW would love to come to the first Sunday meet up this month, where and what time?

The McDermotts

Hi,

Thanks for the great piece of information.Please keep on informing these kind of info.will be landing on 15th Nov. on 475 visa.Tougher days ahead for me.Also expecting a child after few months.Do u have an idea how much would it cost without medicare facilities?

Thanks

Good luck, hope all goes well for you! :cute:

What is required for the 100 point ID and where do you go to get sorted :huh:

Guest Mitchell
Good luck, hope all goes well for you! :cute:

What is required for the 100 point ID and where do you go to get sorted :huh:

Hiya

I had to do the 100 points thing when I was trying to rent a house. You need your passport, driving license (they let me do it with a UK one), bank cards for an Aussie account, proof of employment and income and a copy of your visa. When I did it I explained that I'd only been here a few weeks and couldn't provide personal refs apart from my sister and they were fine. I did supply contact details for my UK landlady as she forgot to give me a rent ref. I got away with that too although I think some people haven't. I think mine was partly due to who I work for and that it is a dept of defence house as I work next to the RAAF base.

Guest WhatNow?

When you view a rental you need to have your info available for the agent to pass on to the landlord and to be able to show that you can afford the rent - if you haven't yet got a job, then your bank statements may help. Renting is very competitive at the moment and you will be up against Aussies who will often get priority (not a prejudice, just that UK migrants are renowned for not staying in their rentals for the whole term as they often buy fairly quickly and break lease) as they can supply the personal and work references. We give our clients a reference and that seems to be perfectly acceptable.

Guest guest3462

Hi McDermotts, welcome to Adelaide. Hope you are managing ok, sounds like you are doing great! We are in Aldinga beach and it is lovely. Our kids go to willunga preschool as Aldinga was very busy, they currently have a overspill class in the community centre and do not offer pre entry due to this. My youngest starts pre entry at Willunga preschool next week and she is so excited, so if you don't get on with Aldinga, its a good school to consider (as is the primary school next door too) Good luck with everything and remember to take a few ,oments to relax and breathe!!

Botanica, your reciprical agreement medicare will cover the cost of the childbirth, you only need to pay for services up to 20 weeks then it is free.