Angela

2nd Installment, We've been here 49 days !!

So what have we done since our 1st installment ??!!

1. Still renting in HC. Great suburb & location to get around. Met some lovely people, who have helped us settle really well.

2. Kids enrolled in School. The hardest of all (except house hunting) but they have been in school almost 2 weeks & are both very happy not just to be at school but also to be meeting children their own age. 3 months is a long time out of school & I know they were both definitely ready to go back - well I certainly was smilie_lol.gif

3. Work. Ashley has been working now for a month. Everything is going fine, no problems so far. He is tired mainly because of the early starts, he is up at 5.30 AM 5 days a week, which for someone who was self employed & only knows one 5.30 being PM not AM, its taken some time to get used to 049.gif The work itself is not a problem for him at all.

4. House hunting. Well its finally over.....we have brought a house subject to FIRB approval. Settlement takes place later in November & we are all very happy & relieved to be back on the property ladder (well almost) I will feel much better once FIRB give us their 'blessing' . The kids are really looking forward to taking a dip in their own swimming pool as the hot Summer days approach.

5. Weather. Very mixed. Some days are baking 30+ others can be cool & windy. But we love it all. Blue Skies & I will NEVER be bored driving up & down Dyson Rd with the stunning views of Brighton in the distance.

6. Homesickness. None. Miss the people we left behind, which is natural. The boys kick off about going home when they have been naughty. I've told them it must stop because when it happens it upsets the other one, which is not good. But no family wobbles, so far so good.

7. Roads. Getting used to the very changeable 80 km to 60 km to 70 km. Took some doing but I am more confident now. A sat nav is a must & a UBD.

8. Beaches. Love them all really. Don't have a favourite but I'm sure I will have.

9. Australians. We have some great neighbours & the kids have been brilliant with our boys, they will miss living here. The mums at school are really friendly to but its a little harder to fit in with them than I thought it would be, but its takes time & I'm here to stay so thats fine.

10. Pommes. Met some GREAT people. The forums for me have been invaluable. Everyone has been really generous & helped us settle in brilliantly. Thank you to everyone I have met so far & to everyone that I have either rang or pm'd, you have all been brilliant.

11. Furniture. You can get many things here at a reasonable price, Le Cornu, Image, Radio Rentals & Harvey Norman (plus many more I'm sure) - they all have room sets & individual furniture at reasonable prices. For smaller bits, eg the kitchen, I have been to IKEA today (1st time smilie_lol.gif ) brought a wok, pans, cups, cutlery, knife set - all basic but for less than $60. The cheaper stuff is here if you want it. Don't rule out garage sales either, they often have a few bits & bobs worth buying to.

These are my own thoughts written down. I love Adelaide & I know I will be very happy here biggrin.gif .

Angela

Guest Django

Well done you.:D Be nice once you're in your own house coz then you can finally 'be home' if you get me. Keep the updates going Angela its good to know not only the you've settled but also how you've done it. We will be doing it like you finding and area and school, rent until we find somewhere we want to buy.

I'm want to avoid IKEA when I get there but I'll weaken and probably go straight there when we need something. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well done again

Pete

Guest mOZzy

that's a great update and very useful information .. for all of us still here in the uk :confused:

well done you on getting everything sorted so quickly and nice to hear that the kids settled in nicely too!

great to hear that you love it and that things don't seem as manic as we all expect them to be!!! :notworthy:

Glad to read that you are all settling in nicely and congratulations on the house purchase, even more excitement!

It's really good to read your information, these are all the things that all of us waiting Patiently (not!) want to hear.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Angela

First of all a wonderful informative post that will provide very useful information and tips to those comming over soon and once we get this broadband/dial up business sorted I'll try and do something similar;)

Secondly we'd just like to say how wonderful it was to meet you and your family tonight and how much we're looking forward to meeting up again on Sunday at the festival, really nice to see the boys getting on so well and am sure James will be more than happy to come play Playstations or for your two to come play X box here(if only I knew what I was talking about):jiggy:

Wonderful choice of house you made too:notworthy:

Guest dglamoore

Great post and lovely you have made so many friends here :cute: Not long now til you have your own house so everything seems to be clicking into place for you

A few of us are off to the festival Sunday so will probably see you around somewhere :jiggy:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Well done Angela, thanks for taking the time to do that.

With regard to the Aussies you have met, I think they are just a bit more reserved to begin with. What we have found, is that all the Brits we/you meet, we all have this binding thing which ties us together (emigrating) which makes us all chat and get on straight away but with time this may wear off.

With the Aussies I have met at kinde, they just take a bit more time to get used to you but believe me, they are friendly and watch out now as the BBQ season starts!

All the best for now

Regs

Sas

Guest swampo

Thanks for the information, it really is useful to us poor so and so's still stuck in blightly. Looking forward to coming over in 2008 and meeting all of you lovely folks already out there.

Keep the news updates coming

Great post Angela! I'm so glad you've settled so well and maybe we'll bump into you at the festival! I'll be the one doing all the wine tasting whilst my poor husband chases round after the kids!!:D

Guest guest569

Well done for getting sorted so quickly Angela and family.:notworthy:

Hope all goes well with your adventures in the coming months.:D