Guest fazgallagher

Advice / help required

Guest fazgallagher

Hello to all, i am new to this forum and would welcome all the advice we can get. We have just applied for the state sponsorhip for SA hopefully when we get that it will be Visas and then off. Can anybody tell us good areas to live for schools etc our kids are both girls aged 13 and 6, my wife and i are aged 37 and 40 she is a trained florist and a sales assistant and i have been a bricklayer for 20 years. Can anyone tell us what the job oppertunities are like in our line of work and also in general and also any expats out there has it changed your life for the better or not, we are from Barnsley in South Yorkshire so please give us your help

Regards and thanks

Faz

Hello to all, i am new to this forum and would welcome all the advice we can get. We have just applied for the state sponsorhip for SA hopefully when we get that it will be Visas and then off. Can anybody tell us good areas to live for schools etc our kids are both girls aged 13 and 6, my wife and i are aged 37 and 40 she is a trained florist and a sales assistant and i have been a bricklayer for 20 years. Can anyone tell us what the job oppertunities are like in our line of work and also in general and also any expats out there has it changed your life for the better or not, we are from Barnsley in South Yorkshire so please give us your help

Regards and thanks

Faz

On behalf the mods on the forum welcome, this place is full of people who have been here long times and short times....but what there is a a massive wealth of knowledge about Adekaide and what there is on offer.

When it comes to schools alot of them you may have to live in certain areas ( catchment ) to enable yojur kids to get in.

where you choose to live only you and your family can really decide, it bottles down to what you want from where you wanna stay, beaches, schools, shops, hospitals, transport etc etc....when you can answer how important some of these things are to you then you can decide where you want to live.

We are in the south Aldinga Beach we built a place while renting in Seaford, we fell in love with Aldinga within a few days of getting here, i travel an hour to and from work each day.

As for changing our lives, well our has deffo changed for the better, lifestyle etc etc.....probably drink more than back in the UK :jiggy:have bbqs regular thru the summer, take the dog for walk down the beach, go for walks with kids thru the scrubland, spotting roos and koalas.

All in all Adelaide is a better place for me and my family....

Aby other questions just ask away mate, you may get what you want and sometimes you may not.....thats the joy of a public forum i spose....

HG

Guest fazgallagher

Cheers HG, what line of work are you in ?, Seaford is a place we have thought about as i new someone who lived there for 12 month and they loved it

I am a toolmaker.....have been in and put of jobs while we have been here....but all settled in nicely now.....you do have to start a bit back from where you leave off in the UK we have found....

You should not have much hassle in finding work as a brickie, lotsa construction going on here, be it domestic or commercial.....do some homework before you get here

SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

346 Construction & Design jobs in Adelaide available now at Byron Employment

bricklayer Jobs in Adelaide, SA, Australia| CareerOne.com.au

There are some others but these are the most poplular...

Hope this helps a little

Guest guest3462

'ey up lad!!! I am from Barnsley!! We have been here almost 2 years now and we are loving every minute of it. We are down south in Aldinga Beach as well, its a lovely little town, with a few of us Barnsleyites believe it or not!!! Our girls are a lot younger than yours but they go to a smashing school in the next town in Willunga (only 10 mins drive). There is loads to do for the kids down here and the beach is only a 5 min walk from our house. The only drawback is that the city is an hour away by car but to be honest my OH enjoys the scenic drive to and from work and I rarely feel the need to go all the way in. there is a big shopping centre like meadowhall about 35 mins away from here and smaller ones closer still.

You should both get work no problem, but i would work on getting your licence otherwise it might hold you back a bit to start. There are quite a few florists down here too so hopefully your wife will fall on her feet too, tho again I think you need to get a qualification here (you have to retake every qualification in Aus its a real pain in the bum!!)

If you need any advice I will try to help just give us a shout, we are waiting for our 176 visa too, but we are out here on a 457.

All the best

Julia x

Guest Guest75

Another Northerner here - from Leeds.

Welcome to the forum, it can be a real life saver at times,loads of info - use the search facility as well,probably what you are wanting has been asked or said already:cute:

The only daft question is the one never asked.

Bricklaying seems to be doing and paying well here. I know there are one or two brickies on this site,they might want to share experiences.

As for where to live??

I live in Onkaparinga Hills.I love living south of the city with the beaches and great access to the sea for fishing - but there are some great places up north as well.

Only you can decide - you need to have a good look around in person.

Hi Fazz

welcome to the site, I'm probably making this thread a bit South heavy but it is lovely down here, we're in Moana/Port Noarlunga South but have lived in a few places around Adelaide before we settled here. As many of the guys have already said it really is a personal choice. As for schools it really depends if you want state or private schools and also if you want a school that teaches the IB which is more of an internationally recognised school qualification.

As for making for a better life, we really think it has improved our family life, we have been here for nearly 4 years now and my OH sees much more of our daughter and we seem to have more "quality" family time and many more activities to do together. Obviously you still need to earn a crust but overall its the best thing we could have done.:cute:

There loads of helpful people on here so just shout out if you need any help of advice.

Good luck with your journey

Kim

Hi Faz,

Welcome to the site!

My OH is from Batley. There seems to be quite an exodus from Yorkshire right now!

His brother and father are both brickies so we are well aware of the work situation in their part of West Yorkshire right now.

I am also going to throw my weight behind the South...but there will be opinions from elsewhere!

We stay in Port Noarlunga and apart from a 6 month stint in Old Reynella, have always been here. If you google image some of the areas you can have a look at some of the scenery.

There's everything that you need right on your doorstep. I have had a few bricklayers stay with me (there's one right now!) and hopefully they can answer any questions that you might have with white cards, and registration.

Take care and the best of luck with your visa process.

Tamara

Just to throw a (small) spanner in the works, I'd suggest with a teenager (even if only just!) you would do well to consider living within fairly easy reach of the City - by which I mean not further than about 30 minutes away, as when they get older and more independent, it does limit activities and options to live further than that away.

I know places like Aldinga are very popular and for me, it's a great place for a few nights away camping, but I wouldn't want to live that far out. We live about 20 minutes away from the City by public transport in the northeastern suburb of Highbury (I have a 16 and a 13 year old) and any further than that and I would spend literally hours driving them here there and everywhere. As it is, they can easily catch busses to wherever they want to go if they need to, and for my daughter, who is in the Australian Girls Choir, most gigs and concerts are easy enough to get to. For instance, recently they were singing with the group Celtic Woman at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre midweek - if we didn't live as close, she wouldn't have got home till about midnight!! My son can do cricket coaching at the Adelaide Oval during the holidays if he wants to, again, 20 minutes to get him there.

We also have excellent schools, shops, public transport, countryside, plenty of jobs within easy commuting distance and can reach the beach or the wineries within 30 minutes.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but perhaps base yourself somewhere fairly central when you first arrive, and get a feel for distances between places?

Guest fazgallagher

thanks to everybody for all your replies, really carn't wait to get out there although it will probably be another 12 months, keep in touch

si thi all soon hopefully

cheers Faz

Guest fazgallagher

Good news today, 176 subclass granted all paperwork sent with DIACnow its fingers crossed and look for a possible job, anybody got any contacts for bricklaying jobs please let me know

Get the beers in the fridge

Cheers Faz

Good news today, 176 subclass granted all paperwork sent with DIACnow its fingers crossed and look for a possible job, anybody got any contacts for bricklaying jobs please let me know

Get the beers in the fridge

Cheers Faz

Hi Faz

Great news congrats on the first leg!!!

Theres a great site Adelaide Bound which has a good list of the house builders and loads of other useful info check out the link below:

Building a Home, Adelaide Bound - guide to house builders, house and land packages and more

Good luck with the rest of your journey :cute:

Kim

Nar then thers alot frum tarn int the! Haha we're from Barnsley too but living in Plymouth now as hubby's in the navy. Adelaide ought to be renamed as the Yorkshire of Oz. Good luck with the visa Faz, we hope to be out there by August next year (fingers, toes, eyelashes etc crossed!)

Bev

Hi Faz,

Congratulations.

As well as the usual job sites like Careerone and Seek there's a lot to be said for door knocking! There's loads of building projects on the go and a visit to the local sites often results in good contacts / being pointed in the right direction for work.

I have just had a family stay with us and the husband was a builder...he had a job within a week (not the one he wanted...but it's a start!).

Best of luck.

Tamara

Nar then thers alot frum tarn int the! Haha we're from Barnsley too but living in Plymouth now as hubby's in the navy. Adelaide ought to be renamed as the Yorkshire of Oz. Good luck with the visa Faz, we hope to be out there by August next year (fingers, toes, eyelashes etc crossed!)

Bev

Hi Bev

My husband is from Sheffield and was in the Navy for 15 years based out of Plymouth and Portsmouth on Frigates so they may want to get together when you get over and have a chat and no doubt a few beers and share some stories!!! :chatterbox:

Hope all goes well

Kimx

Guest Guest75

Bev

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Beat ya to it - we called this place "New Yorkshire" on a Usenet forum in 2001:cute:

Originally form Pudsey,W.Yorks ;)

Guest fazgallagher

Thanks Tamara will have a look, do you do rentals or something if you have families stay?

Hi Bev

My husband is from Sheffield and was in the Navy for 15 years based out of Plymouth and Portsmouth on Frigates so they may want to get together when you get over and have a chat and no doubt a few beers and share some stories!!! :chatterbox:

Hope all goes well

Kimx

Hi Kim, sounds great he would definately be up for a few beers (while we consume lots of wine :cute:)

Bev

Beat ya to it - we called this place "New Yorkshire" on a Usenet forum in 2001:cute:

Originally form Pudsey,W.Yorks ;)

:shocked:Oh dammit! Well i cant wait to meet up with a few fellow yorkies when we get over there.