Sears Family

Buying a car

Hi all,

Need to get a cheap run-around, could anyone recommend a Garage (or indeed do you have anything to sell?!!). Just need a reliable car to get me to work and back, not fussy but do not have a huge budget!

Re: budget what % do we need to consider for stamp duty (think that's what it is) and any other associated costs?

NB: I will be getting a full check on the vehicle too, just so it does not break down 2 mins down the road!! :)

Any help is really appreciated

Cheers

Von x

Guest tinkham_lee

not sure on the % of stamp duty, but i paid 2k for my car and paid less than $50 stamp duty,

I sent you a pm about a car for sale

Guest wijaya

Hi

I bought a 2000 ford laser two months ago, from Brian Thredgold (Aussie car rental in Brighton Road), for 7 thousand. The seller paid a three months rego (cost around $ 170). The stamp duty was 300 dollar. The full comprehensive insurance was $ 500 and RAA breakdown around $ 100.

Guest willow1234

hi we got a car n an ute from sommerton cars on brighton road.....gaffers name is andrew really nice chap n helpfull...been here 6 months n had no problems with motors

Guest Mitchell

If you have an iPhone get the Drive app. I believe there's a web site drive.com.au (but the app is easier to use). That way you can search for what you want. I just paid $14k on the road for a 3 yr old Holden astra from Peter page Holden. I love it! You'll need to pay rego (tax and third party insurance) and stamp duty. If you google stamp duty you can find sites that will calculate it for you. NB it's different for each state so pick the right one. I got the rego deducted from the on the road price as I hadnt sorted out an SA license so wasn't in the system. I had to do it myself and got a driving license as well. Worth noting that if you declare you need glasses/contacts they make you go to an opticians for an eye test to prove it but it's covered on Medicare even reciprocal like me.

Guest Sannie!

Depending on the budget you can choose the one, if you looking for a reliaable second hand ones for a cheap price then consier toyota, suzuki, holden model as there are heaps of it also the spare parts are cheaper... also I have sent you a PM about a car that is up for sale. cheers good luck with new car.

hi we got a car n an ute from sommerton cars on brighton road.....gaffers name is andrew really nice chap n helpfull...been here 6 months n had no problems with motors
    Yep,he's a fair ,no nonesense fella.Arfur Daley he aint.:)

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie pat's other half here

Mitchell, just on yr comment about eye tests, I wear glasses and when I went to get my SA licence I was told initially by the lady on the counter that I would need to go for an eye test. When I told her, politely, I thought that was ridiculous as my eyesight was corrected and as good as the next person's, she checked with the supervisor and they agreed that I could have my licence without the eye test.

I'm not one normally to argue, but it just didn't make sense to me.