trevorpayne

Jims paving

we are coming over early next and thinking of buying a franchise with Jims Paving. I have been in the building construction trade all my working life.

I thought it would be fairly difficult to set up a new business in a new country, so thought Jims Paving would be a great way of getting work and spreading my name and reputation.

Just wondered how popular Jims Paving was and if anyone else had been tried and weather it was successful.:biglaugh:

Guest Nick11

We used jims paving for the pool. Wasn't a bad job..but then again wasn't a brilliant one either.

Guest The Morleys

Hi Trevor

I would say it is like any tarde, you can be 500 competitiors out there but word of mouth will be the main thing that works for you in the end. Just make sure with Jims they guarantee you so many leads a week because the money you give them may be best used on your own advertising. We are in Seaford and I have only seen one Jims paving about, I take it you can buy a postcode from them? They do seem to do a lot of advertising as Jim has his finger in a lot of pies. If it is a postcode you buy or several get in touch I have some info on the different suburbs and how many there are in every postcode.

I know the local Jims carpet cleaner if you would like me to ask him how they have been with him?

Local paper small add here is roughly $70 a week, sponsored link on True local $200 a month, Yell is approx $70 a suburb for a sponsored link, the book can be quite expensive, it can add up when you are trying to get your name out there.

I will need some work doing at some point next year so send us a link when you get here.

Good luck with the move.

Marcus

I would say dont buy a franchise You are looking your set up $30k + and about $550 a month for your fees you would be better to stick an advert in the local paper each week. I have a franchise(not jims) and they promise you everything and do it for the first few months and then it just drops off. I have been trying to sell mine for 2 years with no luck and they just do not want to help.There is someone on here that has a jims pool franchise who is trying to sell he may give you a better idear of Jims.

Guest motlyman

Tricky one to answer as there are so many different trades available now.

I just looked at our website and there are 4 pavers dotted around.

I also ckecked the unserviced work and, there wasnt any. That could mean they are flat out with all the work or it could mean there aint none:err:

I can only speak of the pool franchise where i have s..t loads of work going to waste as im selling up and dont need it.

With Jim,s you get back up and training for your particular trade but you may not need it so maybe your money would be better off starting out on your own. Dont know how much the paver franchise is but it would go a long way towards keeping you afloat while you started out on your own.

Any business is difficult to kick off, even Jim,s.

You will still have to pay fees while you start up and have no work.

Mine is established now so i have many repeat clients and regulars.

I guess as a paver your work will be one offs unlike mine where there are regulars and one offs.

Hope this helps a bit

Colin

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post.

I would be grateful if you would ask your friend who works at Jim's Carpets.

I would also love to give you a quote, I'll do mates rates for you.

Once again cheers.

Guest The Morleys

No worries Trevor, Il get in touch with him next week and let you know what he thinks.

I also was in the trade in the Uk, tiling, plastering, painting, etc there is plenty of work out here for most, it just takes time to get established. They do some things differernt ways out here and with different materials it would just take a little getting used to. I imagine the paving game is not much different. You may need to get your ticket though so keep that in mind.

Get in touch when you get here, have you been before?

Marcus

We are over on Jan 3rd, to have a good luck around and to try a suss things out.

We need to have a look in the areas we think we may want to settle .

Probably visit a few building sites to get some idea how things are done.

The weather in the uk is not good at the moment.

We have booked a cabin at Brighton caravan park which looks nice. Just hoping for some good weather.:biglaugh:

You will find that there is not much going on at that time of year as most trades shut down then.Its a bit difrent over here you have a street getting built and there might be ten blocks of land with ten difrent builders all at diffrent stages or blocks some times lie for years with no work getting done on them so every area has blocks with nothing on them people buy them as investments.