Diane

Birdwood Motor Museum

Has anyone been? How long do you need for a visit? OH is thinking it will take up at least 4-5 hours, but being familiar with most attractions here, I am doubtful....

I am happy to be wrong though, if anyone's been and can give me the benefit of their experience....

Guest moonraker1959

And you can visit the Blumberg for lunch(hotel)in the main street of Birdwood,if its a nice day,you can sit out the front which would be nice!

Thanks for posting this Diane was going take my little one in the school hols but did wonder if its one of those 'can walk round it in 10 minutes kind of places':goofy:

right thats half a day, day out in the 6 weeks hoilday ONLY 48 and half to sort out:biglaugh:

Great place to go, I have been there a couple of times and spent at least 3 hours in there each time, but it obviously depends on if you read every display explanation, definitely worth going, nice pub across the road to have a meal in.

Guest fredhargreaves

As a rule of thumb you will find that anything heavily promoted (wine tourism, Hahndorf german Village ha-ha) is rubbish and that the few gems that there are tend to be underpomoted.

Birdwood Motor Museum is actually (they labour the point when asked) the NATIONAL motor museum and it is definitely well worth a visit. How long - depends if you are a car nut and vintage/veteran in particular. I'd say 2 hours for a saunter - double it or more for a serious car nut.

In the same vain Hahndorf does have Hans Heysen's house - once again it's more for people genuinely interested in art, but if you are it's well worth a look. You need to turn up at certain specified times for a guided tour - they won't let you roam around unaccompanied.

Also for walking etc (i.e. maybe a weekend away) the Grampians beats anything here in SA but is not promoted because it lies over the border in a place called Victoria. It's about a 5 hour drive so closer than the Flinders Ranges, which are best visited in winter anyway.

Guest The Steeles In Adelaide

About 2 hrs should cover a visit to the motor museum! We visited the cheese and chocolate factory (melbas) then onto the motor museum, a stop at the toy factory ( big rocking horse) and then onto the whispering wall. All on the same day make it an early start and made it back for 8pm. there is also a scenic drive called the yellow brick road i think cant remember exactly but reckon that was the name of it.

Dave.