Guest irisheyes

Handy hints for settling in kids

Guest irisheyes

We've only 5 weeks to go - fly out @ 6am on New Year's Day. I've moved from Ireland to NZ before, but this is first time I've had to do this with a family.

As our house hasn't sold, my OH will probably have to return to NZ for a few months. I have a job three days a week lined up so our first priority is childcare. I'm conscious that the kids will be missing their daddy, be in a new country, with all their toys still on a ship on the Tasman sea. How did your kids cope?

I'll be ok - I have wine:biglaugh:...but I really want to make this as easy as possible on the kids (aged almost 4 and 2.5yr).

All suggestions appreciated!!!

Guest kas17

Hi

I have kids of a similar age and arrived in August, we went to the library for storytime and our local one also lends toys (free). We also joined a playgroup. Buckets and spades on the beach always keeps them happy whatever the weather.

Where are you planning to live, happy to meet for a playdate when you arrive

Karen

Hi

I have kids of a similar age and arrived in August, we went to the library for storytime and our local one also lends toys (free). We also joined a playgroup. Buckets and spades on the beach always keeps them happy whatever the weather.

Where are you planning to live, happy to meet for a playdate when you arrive

Karen

Hope your not missing the gorgeous Stoney weather and outdoor pool!!! Loads of snow back there last night.

Guest kas17
    Hope your not missing the gorgeous Stoney weather and outdoor pool!!! Loads of snow back there last night.

Ha, a bit cold for the outdoor pool just now. feel like Im missing the snow as its our first year here but sure I would be cursing it if I was in Stoney

Ha, a bit cold for the outdoor pool just now. feel like Im missing the snow as its our first year here but sure I would be cursing it if I was in Stoney

Used to love going down there in summer. We just up the road from you in both countries now, Hallett Cove and Aberdeen. And only thing i miss is the snow and Xmas day. Rest I dont miss at all. Anything we can help with, just shout. Our 4th Xmas here now.

Guest irisheyes

Thanks for those suggestions - a playdate would be lovely - though we're looking at the north eastern suburbs as I'll be working in Elizabeth three days a week. Did it take your kids long to find their feet? I knonw they'll probably settle quicker than the "grown-ups"!

Niamh

Guest kas17
    Thanks for those suggestions - a playdate would be lovely - though we're looking at the north eastern suburbs as I'll be working in Elizabeth three days a week. Did it take your kids long to find their feet? I knonw they'll probably settle quicker than the "grown-ups"!

Niamh

My younger one would be happy anywhere I think as long as she is with us, she is too young to understand. The older one is still missing her friends a lot, shes been at kindy for 2 months and not made many friends, she is very sociable so she finds that hard otherwise she settled in really quickly and loves it.

Karen

Guest kas17
    Used to love going down there in summer. We just up the road from you in both countries now, Hallett Cove and Aberdeen. And only thing i miss is the snow and Xmas day. Rest I dont miss at all. Anything we can help with, just shout. Our 4th Xmas here now.

thanks, Im definately not missing rowies though